Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Heart scary

I am not ready to lose my mom.  I don't think I'll ever be ready (maybe when she is 120?!?!), but I know for sure right now would not be a good time.  Not even close. 

The Wednesday before Jeff and Ian went to Orlando, my mom landed in the hospital.  She was having heart pain, but wasn't sure where it was coming from...reflux or her heart?  By the time we all knew what was going on, the biggest part of the scare was over.  My mom apparently had a heart attack (the day before?  No one is entirely sure) and her triple bypass done in June 2012 had completely failed.  The doctor successfully opened up two of the three openings during a catherization to see what was going on.  The third blockage is still a problem, but at the moment no decision has been made to correct this. 

As the events started to unfold, everyone (EVERYONE!!!) asked when I was headed down to Orlando.  I guess I set myself up for that one as I've been known to go down to Florida to be with the family for much less than this.  But here's the thing, as much as I wanted to go (BELIEVE ME!!! I was thisclose to getting on a plane), it wasn't practical.  Jeff and Ian were headed down there just hours after mom was admitted to the hospital.  If I got on a plane to be with her, I'd have to bring Sam with me too.  Sam wasn't going to be able to spend hours on end in the hospital with me.  It wouldn't be fair to Jeff and Ian to give Samantha to them either.  They had tickets to baseball games and plans that couldn't easily include Sam at the last minute.  I had offers from friends to watch Sam in NoVa for the weekend, but Sam would've been pissed (rightfully so) if we were all in Florida without her.  The last option was for other family members in Orlando to watch her, but again, it wasn't practical.

I decided that I would fly down to be with my mom when Jeff and Ian got back on Monday evening.  This way the kids would have school during the day and Jeff could continue working and look after them.  While Jeff and Ian were in Orlando they were able to visit my mom in the hospital multiple times.  I felt so good about this.  Jeff reported that my mom looked great and she was happy.  I got to skype with my mom and see for myself too.

In the end I decided to not go down.  Mom was out of the woods and it took until Tuesday (3/18), but she got released to go home.  Mom is going to take it easy for at least a month...do absolutely nothing (other than go for walks) and let her heart heal. 

Thank G-d my mom felt pain and her body had a way of telling her something was wrong.  Too many times you hear of the situation ending a completely different way, and not in a good way.   What a scary, scary time.

No comments:

Post a Comment