Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Heard and Observed #45

I found out from a mutual friend that one of Ian's classmates' mom had a serious illness unexpectedly occur.  It sent a bit of a shock through all of us among the moms who know her.  I told Ian that his friend "John" may not be in school due to the serious condition his mom was in.  If John was in school, he should be extra sensitive to him.  Don't say anything to John unless he says something first.  And try to keep your response positive.  Ian said he would tell John, "I hope your mom feels better." 

I didn't go into too many details telling Ian what was going on; only saying that John's mom was sick.  If John did feel the need to talk about it, I didn't want Ian to start asking a bunch of questions and make John feel bad about what was going on. 

At the end of the day, Ian gets in the car and I asked him if John was in school.  Ian said yes.  Here was their conversation:

John asked Ian if he thought his mom was home or not.

Ian:  Yes, she's home.

John:  No, my mom is in the hospital.

Ian:  I hope she feels better.

John:  Thanks.

Ian:  I wasn't supposed to say anything until you said something first.

Oh my!!!  Next time I give Ian instructions, I am going to have tell him not to say what the instructions were!  It's very sweet how innocent kids are.  Ian meant well and didn't realize what he was doing.  Gosh, I love that kid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment