Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

The case of the missing homework folder

Every Friday afternoon Sam comes home with her homework folder.  It is filled with homework for the coming week.  Each Friday morning, the folder gets turned in and the cycle begins again.  I always, ALWAYS keep the homework folder in the same spot, each and every day.  Friday morning I put the homework folder in her backpack and Friday afternoon, I take the homework folder out of her backpack.  Without fail this has been going on since Ian was in Kindergarten.  Same exact schedule, same exact spot.

At some point during the weekend, Sam will say she wants to do all her homework for the coming week and Jeff or I will sit down with her to get it done.  We never need to ask where the folder is, because we always know where it is.  The homework isn't due till the end of the school week, so the completed folder gets put back in the same spot.  The whole thing is very predictable.  We've never had a problem with this system since it began. 

I left for Florida on a Thursday afternoon.  Before leaving, I put a big post-it note on the back of the front door "DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE HOMEWORK FOLDER IN SAM'S BACKPACK".

Monday night I come back home and take notice the homework folder is not where it should be.  I check Sam's backpack and it is not there.  I ask Jeff where it is.  He has no idea.  I ask Sam where it is.  She has no idea.  I ask Jeff if he put her homework folder in her backpack before school on Friday.  He said yes.  Hmmm, that's weird.  I then ask Jeff if she came back home with it at the end of the day.  He said he doesn't know.  No one knows where Sam's homework folder is.

I send an email to Sam's teacher and ask her to help solve this mystery of the missing homework folder.  Did the folder not make it home?  Did the teacher decide to not assign homework (although she has never skipped a week before)? 

It takes a full day but the teacher responds and writes that her assistant who does all the homework folder stuff was not in school today.  She will check with her tomorrow and send the homework folder home with Sam on Wednesday.  She also added a line that we shouldn't worry if Sam needs more time to do the work and we can turn it in late.

Finally on Thursday I get an email from the assistant teacher.  Sam already turned in her homework folder with all the work completed.  This was done on Monday.  As the assistant writes, "Sam is on top of it!". 

On top of it?  Really?  Wouldn't on top of it mean that either Jeff or Sam knew they received the homework folder, did all the work in it and returned it on MONDAY!!?!?!?  Just a few hours later when I got home on Monday, neither of them could remember any of that.

Mystery solved.  Case closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment