Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

Hanging with Samantha

 
Since the day I became a mom (almost 9 years ago!), I have never spent this much time one-on-one with either of my kids before.  Let me correct myself -- I have spent tons of time (years and years!) with the kids, just not alone with no other adult consistently interacting helping to parent (like Jeff, my family, or mommy friends who help parent when we are together with our kids). 

It was just Sam and me for 4 straight days.  Not only 4 days, but 4 nights of putting Sam down to bed on my own.  I know there are single moms everywhere who do this every day, but that's not me.  I've had it really good with Jeff always helping co-parent.  And he was still being a parent as Ian was with him down in Orlando.  But we both know, he took the "easy one" with him on that plane.  I got to hang with the spirited, challenging one.

It should also be noted that before the boy's weekend for Spring Training started, Jeff went to PA the first part of the week for work. So he basically had a pretty sweet week and stopped in Burke long enough to repack a suitcase and give Sam and me a kiss hello and then goodbye.

I am pleased to report Sam and I had a great 4 days together.  We had lunch and saw a play with our friends.  Met up with Elaine and Matthew for dinner.  Had a playdate at another friend's house after school on Friday.  Did the grocery shopping for the week.  Exercised together to a DVD consisting of family yoga.  And we even found time to do one of Sam's most favorite activities....get a frappacunio (don't worry, no coffee involved).  We survived!  That is until Fairfax County Public Schools announced there wouldn't be school on Monday due to snow. Ugh!  I was really counting on school happening for a break from my non-stop parental duties since the boys left on Thursday. Sam and I were doing so well together.  I guess one more day wasn't going to send me running for the hills just yet.

We woke up on Monday to 7 inches of snow had fallen.  It was time to get to work and dig us out.  Usually Sam is a big helper and loves to be outside shovelling right next to me.  I think us being around each other 24/7 was getting to her too.  Her whiny voice found itself again in her body and it was non-stop complaining about everything under the sun.  Oh, school would've been a very good thing right about now.  We were doing so well too.  No longer.  I was not a happy camper.  Jeff and Ian were still enjoying 80 degree weather in Florida, while I am shoveling our driveway and cleaning both cars of the snow and listening to Sam whine.  Lovely!  I was ready for Jeff to come back.  I needed to be rescued.

Sam and I walked across the street for lunch at Chipotle. A change of scenery (and food!) was what we needed.  Sam did an excellent job eating lunch.  We walked back and kept warm inside the house until it was time to head to the airport.  She was back to being sweet.  Maybe Sam realized it was easier to agree with me than argue with me.

Fortunately Jeff and Ian's flight was late enough in the day on Monday that it took off on time.  Whew!! It was a beautiful thing to read Jeff's text that they were on the plane and he was shutting down his phone. 

I missed my boys and was very happy to have everyone together again.  Single parenting...it's not for the faint of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment