Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

And away I go (again)

I am currently in Martha’s Vineyard for my cousin Erik’s wedding. For those keeping score, this is wedding #4 since October. Three of which required traveling to another state or country. I had no plans on going, by my mom asked if I would travel with her and I felt I needed to oblige. I will be gone for a total of 4 nights (Thursday thru Monday). We are returning home around midnight on Monday. I would’ve loved to have Jeff and the kids with me, but logistically and financially, it wasn’t possible. Nor, if this was the one trip we would take, Martha’s Vineyard would not be the place we would pick to go.

Jeff has been amazing in helping me go. He offered to come home early on Thursday, so my mom and I could get an early start driving to NJ. We would get to NJ, spend the night at my Aunt and Uncle’s house and then continue traveling the rest of the way to Martha’s Vineyard with them.

So far the trip has been one traveling snafu after another. We’ve hit endless amounts of construction and car accidents on the road. I drove for at least 40 minutes in blinding rain and a severe thunderstorm. The kind of blinding rain when you can’t even see the lights on the car in front of you. Furthermore, upon entering into the state of NJ, the air conditioning on Jeff’s car completely stopped blowing cold air. So while it got hot very quickly inside the car, it also fogged up the windshield and created more vision problems.

Day 2 of the traveling on the Friday wasn’t any better, actually worse. Despite having 90 minutes of extra time built into the schedule, leaving at 5:15am wasn’t early enough to get to Rhode Island for the 12:00pm ferry. We barely made it, with a minute to spare. Forget getting there 45 minutes in advance like they recommended. My uncle had to drive 95mph to make up for the lost time sitting in standstill traffic. My mom freaks out when I go 5 miles over the speed limit; you can just imagine the scene in the car with my uncle doing 95. But if we missed the 12:00pm ferry, the next one wasn’t until 4:30pm and we would’ve missed the rehearsal dinner. The ferry ride was rough, rough, rough. It made me incredibly nauseous and my mom got sick. Once we got to the hotel, changed our clothes and headed back out for dinner, the cab driver got lost and didn’t know where the restaurant was we had to go to. Oy!

I was looking forward to having a break from a very exhausting-to-be-around-certain 2 year-old I know, but right now, I’d like to just catch up on my sleep and not get stressed going from Point A to Point B.

Jeff is counting down the hours until I return. I think I am too!

And to my wonderful husband, who when I called last night to say good night and was having a heckuva time getting Sam to go to sleep, I am sorry. Really, I am. Please know, I have no plans to be gone again for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment