Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Team Committed.

I already know what my platform would be if I was ever in the highly unlikely position of being the First Lady or Miss America. Without a doubt, I would choose Breast Cancer research and trying to find a cure. I feel passionate about this cause and would love to see a cure during my lifetime.

On Saturday, June 5th, a good friend created a team for us to walk in this year's Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Washington, D.C. Our name was "Team Committed." This name could be interpreted on many different meanings and all would be correct. We had big hopes that once word got out about our team, people would flock to sign up and want to join us. Ha!! In the end, there was only 3 of us. But it didn't matter; we were in good company and more than 40,000 other people came out to either walk or run this very worthy cause.

Despite my issues with the heat and my hatred for doing anything outside in the month of June, I love doing this walk each year. It is really touching seeing everyone with their signs, costumes and people who can barely move but want to come out and support a great cause. All I have to do is read the banners on the back of people's shirts of who they are walking either in celebration of or in memory of and I start crying. I get so emotional and just want to give everyone I see who lost someone to this horrible disease or successfully fought it a big hug. Breast Cancer really effects everyone -- no matter what age, race, gender or ethnicity.

So the plan was to get to my friend's house at 6:30am and she would drive us to the metro station. I carefully put out all the stuff I would need (fanny pack, water bottle, keys, camera, hat, etc) the night before. Included in a pile nearby were birthday presents I had to give Beth's kids because we weren't able to attend either of their birthday parties. I purposely put my bib number on top of the wrapped gifts so I wouldn't forget to bring it with me. Unfortunately, by the time 6:10am came, when it was time for me to leave and drive to Beth's house, I was operating on about 1 hour of sleep. Sam had a dreadful night and was up all night long and miserable, thus causing me to be up all night long. Everything the next morning was a bit of a blur and I was on automatic pilot making my way to Beth's house. But like I said, our team name was very appropriate and I had no intention of not going. Needless to say, I completely forgot the bib number and presents.

Our team of 3 (Beth, Jen and me) decided to wear matching outfits for the walk. We went online to the Race for the Cure website and found t-shirts and hats we wanted to wear. Despite having on the 'official' uniform we created, I still felt very naked without my number. I know, I know, having the number on wasn't completely necessary to participate. But still, I couldn't help wanting to have the bib pinned to my shirt.

So, we get on the metro and it is PACKED with wall to wall people. There is no room to move and you only hope that when the metro stops at each station, you won't completely fall into the person behind you or in front of you. Fortunately everyone is really nice and understands the situation. This gentleman next to me did not look like he was dressed to participate in the Race for the Cure and I could only assume by him wearing flip flops and jeans that he was headed somewhere else. I asked him which stop he was getting off at and where he was going. He did not speak one word of English and didn't understand anything I was saying. All he could do was smile. He made room on the pole for me to put my hand and tried to move over some to give me more room. At one point he notices our matching shirts & hats and makes a motion pointing to Jen's number on her shirt and then points to my shirt and the big empty space. Even this gentleman who had nothing to do with the Race for the Cure or couldn't even speak/understand English, saw I was missing my bib number. It was really funny.


Next year Team Committed is planning to make a return appearance. Maybe our team will grow beyond the 3 of us. Maybe at some point we can get our kids involved and have them understand what this means. And maybe, just maybe, I'll remember my bib number.

No comments:

Post a Comment