Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A night with Harry

This past Tuesday night I got to see Harry Connick, Jr play at Wolf Trap. And when I mean see Harry, I really saw him. From the likes of the 5th row, dead center of the amphitheatre. It was wonderful. My friend, Jenn, who recently moved back to the area, had 4 amazing seats through her work connection and extended the invitation to sit with her.

Before finding out about these rockstar tickets, a big group of us (11 in total) had bought lawn seats to enjoy the concert under the stars. This is one of the best things about Wolf Trap and even if you don't spring for the inside seats, you can still have a wonderful evening enjoying yummy food/wine and hanging out with good friends. It is a great way to spend the evening.

About 2 weeks ago, the email came from Jenn to join her in the 5th row. I was torn! Do you instantly accept the rockstar seats and ditch my friends, who I personally invited to come join me on the lawn, or do I remain loyal and say, no way, jose...if there aren't enough seats in the 5th row for all of us, then I'm not going! Ah, what a dilemma to be in.

Before the big night arrived, I had made my decision to stick with my other friends on the lawn and not be tempted to view the show from what had to be the closest I will ever get to Harry Connick Jr in my entire life. But once we listened to a few songs (some of my all time favorite ballads -- Harry did mostly cover songs to promote his album "Your Songs"), I was easily persuaded by Wendy to go with her down to the front. And, what a view!! It was an amazing show. Harry Connick, Jr is funny, very funny. He was heckling the latecomers and made small talk with some of the people in the first few rows. He was charming, fun to watch and even better to listen to. What a great performer!

What a night! In the end, I got the best of both worlds....I went down to the 5th row for about 35 minutes and hung out up on the lawn for the rest of the time. It was an absolutely beautiful weather night (no humidity!! and in the 70s) and despite the sold-out crowd, we got a pretty good spot on the lawn. Thanks to Wendy for that!!

It's nights like these that make me really appreciate the area we live in and that a place like Wolf Trap is just a 30 minute drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment