Pages

Saturday, September 18, 2010

All the news you need to know re: Ian

Here's an update on a few hot topics these days at the Toppall house. In no way do I apologize for coming off as an over-protective, overly sensitive mother. This is my job and I am taking it more seriously than I ever thought I would. I don't see myself changing anytime soon either. :)


TRANSITION TO KINDERGARTEN:

After 9 days of school, the child I have grown to love more than anything (equally tied of course with his sister, Sam) has returned. I was more than a little worried when each day I'd ask Ian if he talked with any of his classmates and he would tell me no one or just this one boy, James. How could this be? Ian is a non-stop Mr. Chatterbox and I couldn't imagine him not speaking to any kids his age for 3 hours, 20 minutes each day (2 hours on Mondays). I was concerned that this is how it was going to be for the next 13 years and Ian wouldn't form any friendships. If I could get access to his classroom and find a few kids to bribe to be his friends, I would've. My heart was breaking each time I asked Ian the question and heard his answer. Then towards the middle of week #2 at school, the tide had changed. I'd ask Ian if he talked to anyone and he would list 3 or 4 kids and have a big smile on his face as he was saying their names. On Thursday we got up to 6 kids.

And fortunately, I figured out the issue with the kiss and ride pick-up and why Ian was in tears or close to tears by the time my car came around the bend. All it took was a simple introduction to one of the adults standing there assisting and Ian no longer felt isolated or abandoned. Now each afternoon when Sam and I go to get Ian, he is standing next to Ms. Rolander and has a big smile on his face. It makes me feel good to know that no matter what car number I am in line, Ian will be just fine until I get there. Again, you can't imagine how hard it was for me to see Ian in tears when pulling up to the school curb.

I know there is always going to be something that needs to be addressed, but I really didn't want Ian discouraged so early in his school career. I think for the time being he is going to be okay. And, so am I.


FACING DISAPPOINTMENT HEAD ON:

Ugh! On Wednesday, I got a call from Parktakes (the Fairfax County division for classes and all things rec centers related) and was told that Ian's T-Ball class on Tuesday mornings was cancelled due to low enrollment. I quickly tried to find a replacement class of some sort before having to tell Ian the bad news. Unfortunately there was no other class that met for his age group at the time of day we needed. I wasn't sure how I was going to break the news and decided to sit on it for a day or so and see if I could put some kind of positive spin on it. However, things didn't go as planned and on Thursday morning when dropping Sam off at preschool, a fellow preschool parent who Ian knows very well asked him when T-Ball starts. Oy! I broke the news to Ian then and there. While Ian was disappointed, he took the news surprisingly well. I think I took the news harder! I knew how much Ian was looking forward to this class.


RIDING ON TWO WHEELS:

Back at the beginning of summer when Ian turned 5, he said he was old enough to take the training wheels off his bike. Ian's Aunt Elaine had just given him a bigger bike and we decided this would be the bike for him to learn. After 3 quick sessions (think 10 minutes or less), Ian never really had the confidence to get the hang of riding without a little help. Ian was scared and would let himself fall gently to the ground and then say he was done. We didn't push it and since Ian turned his attention to the new scooter he received from his grandparents, the bike sat there collecting dust.

Fast forward to this past Wednesday when we met our friends Beth and her kids at Popes Head Park. I asked Ian what kind of wheels did he want to bring with him; scooter? bike with training wheels? bike without training wheels? Ian said he didn't want to go back to riding a bike with training wheels. I came up with a brilliant idea and decided to take off the training wheels on the bike he was comfortable with. It was smaller in size and he knew this bike like the back of his hand.

When we got to the park, Ian took off and never looked back. It was most impressive how well he did from the moment he got on his bike, until the moment we left 2 1/2 hours later. It was like Ian was always riding just two wheels. I admit I was tearing up a bit at how great he was doing and not having to struggle.


AN UNSELFISH ACT:

Jeff came downstairs the other night to tell me this story. He went into Ian's room and saw Sam on his bed watching "Barney". Jeff asked Ian how this came to be. Apparently Sam walked into Ian's room and asked him to put the show on his tv. Ian did this completely on his own and allowed Sam to be in his room watching what she wanted instead of something he wanted to see. Anyway, Jeff was looking for Sam to give her a bath. He could hear Ian telling Sam to hide under his comforter so daddy wouldn't find her. Sam listened and did just as Ian instructed. It was really cute. How wonderful these two get along. They are so close and it makes me incredibly happy that Ian looks out for his little sister. Even if it is to escape getting clean.


THE SLEEPOVER THAT WORKED!

Ian was invited to give the sleepover thing another try. This time he went to Ethan's house and along with Ian, another boy joined them named, Andrew. So in essence, this was also Ian's first slumber party. All reports came back that it went well and the boys were asleep by 9:30pm. Ian didn't ask to come home once or even want to give us a call.


Below is video of Ian riding without training wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment