Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

It's back to school! Yay! Sam finally got to start preschool on Tuesday. I was positive drop-off was going to go super smooth and she would be bouncing for joy, eager to get to her classroom. If you saw me on Tuesday morning, you couldn't miss the size of my smile as I think it clearly started from one ear and went all the way to the other. So why shouldn't Sam be just as thrilled as I was?

Oh, how wrong I was! Sam seemed happy with the idea of going to school and happily pulled her backpack through the parking lot and into the Synagogue where she attends preschool. However, a few feet from her classroom door, she realized what was happening and decided this wasn't for her. She started screaming, crying and letting everyone around her know that she didn't want to be there and it was time for her to go back home.



















Miss Virginia, her preschool teacher, looked at me and said it was best to leave. Hanging around was just going to prolong her outburst. So Ian and I took off and made a speedy exit. The school has my phone number and I knew would call if it was necessary for me to come back.

The weird thing is, Sam went to camp at this same exact place over the summer, with mostly the same exact classmates and even the same teacher for a few of the weeks. Sam is very comfortable at this Synagogue and I know she is looked after with great care. I think the 4 week break in between camp and school starting may have been too long of a time span to the keep the momentum we had going.

I know in no time Sam will be happy once again at drop-off. When it came time to pick her up, I spied on her through the window of the door. Sam was having a great time and had a big smile on her face during circle time.

Sam, a happy 2 year old realizing she is going home.

Now that Sam has started school and Ian is attending 1/2 day kindergarten, I officially get 45 minutes of "me" time, twice a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays). And this includes the travel time necessary to get to my destination. Ah, a whole 45 minutes. It's just enough time to get to Target, but not too much time to do much damage. You would think a higher power planned it that way.

1 comment:

  1. She certainly looked adorable on her 1st day, even if she wasn't feeling adorable ;-)

    ReplyDelete