Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

E.T.

Ian has had his own queue on Netflix for close to 2 years now.  Over the past 6 months, it has basically morphed into a continual loop of the Star Wars movies.  Once one movie gets sent back, the next one arrives and so forth and so forth.  Ian, being obsessed with Star Wars, never gets tired of seeing the same 6 movies over and over again.

I decided enough was enough and planned to introduce Ian to something new and different.  Heather had mentioned to me how her girls liked watching the movie, "E.T."   I remember how much I liked seeing it when I was little. This would be the perfect film to wedge in between "A New Hope" and "Return of the Jedi".  I told Ian it was coming and he was less than thrilled that I was now making choices for him and taking control of his Netflix queue.  I quickly added that the movie is about an alien trying to get back home.  Oh, and I also fibbed a little and said it had a really cool battle scene in it.  It was enough to get his interest peaked and be very excited when it arrived in the mail last Wednesday.  We decided we'd watch the movie together after dinner. 

The movie started and Ian was really into it.  Once E.T. started using some of his powers and made the flowers grow, Ian loudly proclaimed, "E.T. HAS THE FORCE!!!  HE IS A JEDI!!!!".  

Oh my!  You can take Star Wars away from the boy, but you can't take the boy away from Star Wars.  Once Ian started to relate to E.T. as a Jedi, he no longer cared that there wasn't really a battle scene in the movie. I asked Ian when it was over if he liked it, he said, "Yes!  Let's send it back tomorrow."   I then asked him if I could recommend other movies for him to watch that I think he'd like just as much.  His answer was, "No." 

I give up.  May the force be with me.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment