Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A morning to remember

There are few events that occur within our lifetime that you will always remember exactly where you were when it happens.  The Challenger exploding, the Twin Towers being struck by terrorists and the horror of 9/11 are a few that stand out for me.  Also on that list is when Princess Diana married Prince Charles.  Even though the date was July 29, 1981, I can remember with vivid clarity everything about the event and where I was.  My sister Lori and I used to spend a couple of weeks each summer with my grandparents and it was during one of these visits that the wedding took place.  My sister and I watched on my grandmother's tv in her bedroom.  I think we were glued for a few hours at least. 

On Friday, I had a lovely morning hanging out, comfy in my bed with my sweet Samantha, watching Kate marry Will.  It is wild for me to think that 30 years later I am watching with my child, Diana's child get married.  I am pretty certain that Sam will not remember anything about this morning with the wedding taking place, but it meant something to me.  Seeing Kate become a princess is a very special thing and of course, something that all girls dream of.   And, as we all know, I love love.

Fortunately this one morning, Sam getting up early was perfect as I completely embraced her being awake and cuddling with her in bed while watching the wedding festivities.  Sam loved getting to see a real Prince, Princess, and Queen in action.  To my delight, her attention span lasted more than 1 hour before requesting her usual tv show watching ritual of seeing Barney first thing in the morning. 

Sam's comments while watching the wedding with me was priceless.   Sam saw the Bishop standing in his spot, higher up than the rest of the participants and asked how he will get down from there.  She took a good look at Kate and asked, "Where's her wand?"  Then looked at the queen and asked, "Where's her crown?" 
When Sam saw the close-up shots of the boys in the choir, she commented, "That's a whole bunch of boys."

So years from now (many, many, many years from now Jeff), when we are planning our own little princess' wedding, I am going to recall our morning of watching Kate marry Will and tell Sam about the time she saw her first royal wedding.  Ok, I need to stop writing this, because I am tearing up thinking about Sam getting married.  Oh my, what a mess I am going to be when it actually happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment