Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

The grilled cheese story

On Sunday afternoon the kids and I were at my sister Lori's house and it was approaching lunch time.  I came up with an easy idea to make the kids grilled cheese sandwiches to eat.  Lori offered to run to the grocery store and get bread and cheese while I took a shower.  Before Lori left, I specifically told her that the kids like Pepperidge Farm whole wheat bread and Kraft American cheese singles.

There are some things you just don't mess with.  And when you know the kids will eat a given combination of foods, you don't fix something that isn't broken.  Well, I think you can guess where I am going with this.  Lori came back with Kraft PepperJack cheese and Pepperidge Farm 15 Grain bread.  Right away, I saw the bread wasn't right and asked Lori why, oh why she'd do that.  She said the 15 Grain bread is healthier for them.  Fine. I can almost be okay with that change.  Then in mid-grilled cheese making, I noticed that the cheese Ben was using wasn't the orange color I am used to seeing.  I investigated further the package the cheese was coming from and saw the PepperJack label.  OMG!  Now, this switcheroo was too much and I knew for sure there was no way the kids would eat it.  WHY?  WHY?  WHY Lori? 

We quietly had it out in the kitchen without drawing too much attention to ourselves, lest Ian and Sam get wise that the grilled cheese sandwich they were about to eat was going to have a kick to it.  I know Ian doesn't like spice of any kind and this wasn't going to go down well.  I was furious and couldn't believe she was doing this.  PepperJack is not a mild cheese and Ian was hungry.  This was soo not cool to do him.  I already had it in my head that if he didn't like the first bite, I would get in the car and hurry to Publix to get the right kind of cheese (and bread too if necessary).

So the grilled cheese is done and we give it to Ian.  We all wait and watch, without being too obvious.  Ian  takes a bite and then another and then another.  I think it helps that he is very hungry.  He comes up for air and says, "It's delicious."  Yay!  I am so happy I was proven wrong.  However, I still feel firmly that you don't mess with something that works.

Ian ate the entire the sandwich.  It was only at the last bite that he said, "That cheese tasted sour."

No comments:

Post a Comment