Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Meet Steven.

One evening while in FL, the kids and I went to a very good friend's house for dinner and a playdate.  Amanda has a little girl, also named Samantha that they call "Sammy".  Sammy is 3 months younger than my Sam.  I've known Amanda since I was 5.  We went to the same private schools from kindergarten, all the way through to graduating high school.  She probably knows me best outside of family.  The fact that her daughter has the same name as mine is complete coincidence.

Anyway, when I reintroduced Sammy to Ian, she couldn't seem to get the name correctly and kept calling Ian, "Steven".  It was very funny.  Ian, of course, didn't find it funny and was getting more and more frustrated as the evening wore on.  Amanda and I laughing as each incident occurred certainly didn't help the situation.  Ian got very upset and started to ignore Sammy whenever he was called the wrong name.  At one point Sammy caught on to what was happening and purposely called Ian "Steven".  Thus, getting Ian even angrier.

Fast forward a very full 2.5 weeks later.  We are back in Burke and in the car one morning headed to camp.  Ian and Sam are fighting like cats and dogs.  Its amazing the distance their arms can go and cross over to the other's car seat, even when they are completely buckled.  Ian starts in on Sam and yells something to the following:  "I don't like you anymore.  I don't want to be your brother.  I am done with you.  I wish you weren't here."

Before I can interject and tell Ian that I never want to hear him say anything like that again, Sam, in a very calm and controlled voice, looks at Ian and says, "Steven".

I was completely amazed at how brilliant Sam's comeback was. One word.  That's all that was needed.  The playing field just got leveled.

No comments:

Post a Comment