Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Velcro: The way of the future?

I find it fascinating that Ian and Sam will never know how to work a rotary phone.  Or, understand that tvs didn't always come with remotes and the ability to record a tv show wasn't always possible.  And before computers, typing on typewriter is how you filled out a form or wrote a letter.  And of course the biggie, heating up a hot dog and chicken nuggets took a lot longer when a stove was needed because microwaves didn't exist yet.

For the last 6 years, we've bought our kids the specific shoes they wear for many different reasons; color, style, cool character design they like, and because they offer velcro straps.  Each year, we put off the inevitable on teaching Ian how to tie laces.  Every time I take him for new shoes, I say, "After this pair, you are getting sneakers with laces and learning how to tie them."  And every year, when its time to get that next new pair, I cave again and do the easy thing...go with velcro.  Call me lazy, but its so much easier to get out the door, repeatedly through the day, when you don't have to stop and help tie shoes.

It's really pathetic.  Ian is now 6 and wouldn't be able to tie his own shoes.  Growing up, I know by the time I was 5, I was fully able to tie any laces put in front of me.  Being able to tie your shoes is a rite of passage, right? 

I was firmly putting my foot down and saying this is it.  This Fall is the year that we will invest in shoes that require tying a bow.  However, my good friend was at Potomac Mills yesterday and found an awesome deal on Stride Rite sneakers she knew Ian would love. She texted me and asked what size.  I went up one size from what Ian is currently wearing and replied back.  Got to love texting!   It was a bit of a relief when the shoes were put in my hand, that yes, these don't have laces either.  It's velcro all the way baby! 

And so, we will go another year now without Ian having to learn this fundamental necessity of life, or is it?  Could laces actually go the way of rotary phones?  Does Ian ever have to really learn how to tie his shoes?  Or, will the size he needs keep offering the velcro closure as his feet get bigger?

No comments:

Post a Comment