Pages

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Dinner...eventually

I've got a list a mile long of various blogs entries I want to write about.  Despite my silence, life is definitely happening.  It feels like our days blur from one to the next.  Before I know it another full week has gone by. I am exhausted by the end of each day.  I no longer attempt to watch my favorite tv shows live.  It's too hard to stay awake once I've finally stopped moving.  I am in this super strange cycle where I am in bed by 9:30pm and wake-up ready to go at 4:00am.  Not fun!  No wonder I am ready to drop by the time the sun is setting.

I am slowly losing contact with a lot of the people I speak with on the phone.  For years (like 8 of them!), Heather and I spoke faithfully each weekday morning.  Even if we had nothing to chat about (which was NEVER the case), we'd still call and check in.  She knew my day and I knew hers.  It was not only comforting, but expected.  Now, we speak sporadically.  We still can fill a lot of time talking about everything, but it doesn't seem to have a set schedule or pattern for when these calls take place.  I find myself texting more and more to keep in touch with everyone.  It's a quick one or two lines and takes very little time.  It can be done at 5:00am, 10:00pm, whenever, and it's easy.  I love this method of communication.  I know nothing will take the place of actually having a conversation with someone over the phone, but this way of communicating is personal, quick, and you get to the point right away.  I can't tell you how many group texts I am a part of each week.  It's pretty funny how we all manage to stay in touch through texting. 

The biggest casualty of the new school year schedule is dinner.  It is quite scary how late we push eating each night.  The kids essentially have two dinners almost every weekday.  A light one before the after-school activity begins and then as a family around 7:00pm.  It's 8:15pm for Ian on Mondays and Wednesdays due to gymnastics.  There have been a few nights where stopping at Subway and picking up subs to take home was the best solution to eating that night.  It's nights like this that Jeff gets very concerned having dinner ready is falling through the cracks**. He has recommended I stop working for The Crazy Man (to give my afternoons while the kids are in school are little more sanity) and to get ready-made meals from Costco.  On my last Costco trip I stocked up on some dinners that are fully cooked and just need to be warmed.  It is surprising how tasty these were and pretty healthy too.  We are still eating pretty darn late, but at least getting the food on the table is a bit more effortless.

Jeff has been working hard on a client project with a deadline coming up soon.  He is putting in crazy hours and can't be counted on being home in time to eat with us.  Not that we are even home in the evening if he was able to make it.

I miss us eating dinner as a family at a reasonable hour each evening.  I didn't realize what a good thing we had going for the last 8 years.  The only weekday we don't have anything after school is on Fridays.

I am sure I will think I am crazy come June and will change my mind, but once school is done this year, the kids and I aren't scheduling ANYTHING this Summer.  No day camps, no activities, nothing!  Just our weeks we have at the beach or Orlando.  I want to wake up each day with a blank schedule and do what we feel like, instead of where we HAVE TO be.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't want this to be mistaken for complaining.  I am very happy that we have a lot going on and the kids are doing so well.  And I am beyond grateful that I have found 3 part-time jobs to fit so seamlessly during the time the kids are in school. Additionally, I couldn't be more pleased that Jeff is employed and working on something he enjoys.  It's just taken a lot to get used to this 'new normal'.

You know that question, would you rather have a personal trainer, chef or live-in maid if you could pick one?  My answer has always been personal trainer.  I need to revise that and now pick 'chef'.  It would be so nice to have someone make dinner (other than me) and have it ready for the mostly 2, sometimes 3 shifts we need it eat it in.

**Please don't suggest that the slowcooker is the way to go.  While I do enjoy the convenience of having dinner cooked and waiting for us when we walk in the door, it does have some drawbacks.  There is no recipe that that says you can cook something for 11 hours (yes! 11 hours from when I turn it on to when we are back home) and have it still look like edible food that isn't completely mush or dried up.

**And I am fully aware that I can make several meals ahead of time on a Sunday and simply reheat during the week.  I am slowly coming around to this idea and implementing it.  It's just one more thing to do on a weekend, but it would make our lives easier during the week.

Anyway, if my blog goes silent for days on end, this is why.  It is not from lack of material, but lack of energy.  I am getting a better perspective on what's important.  Doing homework with Ian and Sam (GAWD!!!!  I AM SOOOOO OVER HOMEWORK!) has to take precedence over keeping this blog going.  And going to sleep soon after the kids do each night is a very close second.

No comments:

Post a Comment