Pages

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

This is a yummy reality

On Monday, October 14th (Columbus day), the kids had off from school and I had the day off from the preschool job and The Crazy Man.  I had scheduled my semi-annual trip to the dentist for a routine cleaning that morning knowing that I could make this appointment and not have to change my schedule on anyone to get there.  I had never taken the kids with me before, but I figured with 2 iPads and only needing a simple cleaning, it wouldn't be bad. 

My dentist's office is on Wisconsin Ave, NW in Washington, DC.  It is the least convenient place it could be in relation to where I live.  In fact, it takes 40 minutes to get there, 40 minutes to get back home and the appointment itself is always less than 30 minutes.  Not the best use of time when every minute counts.  But I love my dentist and have been going there for 19 years.  When I find a medical professional that does a great job and manages her/his time correctly to keep my waiting to a minimum I refuse to make a switch.

I hadn't fully realized just how great it was that I made my appointment on a federal holiday.  The kids and I sailed into town, found a parking spot and didn't have to pay!  Then, we met Jeff for lunch at his office in Arlington.  Found a spot on the street right near his office and didn't have to pay!  Wait, it gets better!  On the way to the dentist office, I always make a turn on 33rd Street, NW (in Georgetown) and pass right by DC Cupcakes.  You know the cupcake shop run by the two sisters that was made into a reality tv show on TLC called Georgetown Cupcakes?  Every single time I drive by there (minimum 2 roundtrips each year), the line is out the door and up the block with people waiting to get in.  It's been like this for years. Given the huge number of cupcake shops in the metro area, it's pretty crazy how popular this one is.  I guess having a tv show will do that for the business.  I had never been there, but have always been intrigued.

I was explaining this to the kids as we did the first drive-by on the way to my dentist.  Ian asked if we could go there and get some cupcakes.  I said, let's see how easy we can find parking after my appointment.  We left the dentist in record time.  The dentist loved getting to meet the kids and even commented I am doing a better job flossing.  Ha!  Once I had the corner of M Street and 33rd Street, NW in my view,  I did two loops around the block and couldn't find a parking spot.  Ian said it was ok and we could just go to Cold Stone across the street from our house for ice cream when we got home.  (That wasn't really the point).  We gave up on our mission and met Jeff for lunch.

While eating lunch, Ian said he'd be willing to walk up to 2 minutes from wherever we had to park to get to the cupcake shop.  Jeff and I figured this gave me like a 4 or 5 block radius in finding a parking spot.  Since Jeff's office is only a 3 minute drive to get back to Georgetown, I was willing to give it another shot.

We lucked out big-time!  We found a parking spot right away directly across the street from the cupcake place.  And, because it was a federal holiday, we didn't have to pay for parking in that spot either.  Sweet!

The line was only about 15 deep when arrived.  Soon after, I'd say there was easily about 50 people behind us.  Nuts, right?  While we were waiting to get in, Ian asked the lady guarding the door how many cupcakes they make each day.  She said between 5,000 and 10,000 a day.  Yowzer!  Apparently they start at 4:00am each morning.  The line moved pretty fast and before you knew it, we were in.  We got a half dozen cupcakes to go and ate 3 there, and brought 3 home.  We did do a drive-by of Jeff's office on the way home and gave him a cupcake to eat. 

Checking out the menu on what is offered for a Monday.

Standing in line, waiting to get in.

We made it inside! 

Yummy!  They even have a gluten-free cupcake each day.

Eating cupcakes = happy children.

It was a neat experience.  After going to my dentist appointment, meeting Jeff for lunch, getting to experience DC Cupcakes, we get home about 5 hours later.  15 minutes after walking in, Ian looks at me and says, "This has been a boring day."  WHAT!?!?!?!  I thought it was one of our more fun days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment