Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Green means go!

The wedding we went to almost 2 weeks ago was held at the beautiful location of Meadowlark Botanical Gardens in Vienna, VA. There are exactly 36 traffic lights separating us from this destination and our house. How do we know this? I counted.

495 was the primary road we used to get to the wedding, but on the way out of the parking lot at the end of the evening, Jeff & I debated briefly which way to go to get home. I commented that we could take 123/Chain Bridge all the way and Jeff said that there are too many lights we could get stuck at. I believe my reply was, "You never know, they could be all green." At which point a challenge was issued and we gave it a go.

To our amazement, out of the 36 traffic lights we had to drive thru, 34 of them were a solid green! One light (#17) was yellow turning red and we probably should've stopped, but I think even Jeff got caught up in the excitement and went for it. Light #33 was red and that was the first time we had to actually come to a full stop. I can attest to the fact that Jeff did the speed limit the whole way and no trickery was involved. We made it home in 18 minutes; probably the same amount of time as if we took the beltway, but I know for a fact we had more fun this way.

2 comments:

  1. OK, I have to say that if you had tried the same experiment on the way TO the wedding, no way it would have come out the same.

    It was probably late(r) at night when you came home, meaning that the likelihood is that the lights would be "with" you at that time.

    I usually take a "local" road later at night rather than the beltway for that same reason ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we got married at meadowlark gardens :) isn't it just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete