Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Snug as a bug in a rug

It finally happened. Saturday was the first time ever (since Sam was born almost 2 years ago) that it became necessary to see if all of four of us could fit in our queen-sized bed.

At 5:30am, looking at the video monitor with one eye open as I was turning over, I noticed that Sam was standing in her crib. I went to retrieve her before she started getting loud and calling for me. My plan was to get her diaper changed and bring her into bed with me and Jeff before Ian woke-up. The goal was to try to grab another 30 minutes of sleep before the day officially began.

As soon as Sam wakes up she likes to know the status of everyone's whereabouts:

Sam: "Daddy? Daddy?"
Me: "Daddy is still sleeping"
Sam: Makes the motion she needs to keep quiet and puts her finger to her mouth, "sssshhhh."
Me: "Yes, that's right...ssssshhhhhh"
Sam: "Ian? Ian?"
Before I could even say, "Ian is still sleeping too", Ian answered with a very calm voice from his room, "Boy, Sam is up early."

Um, by my math that makes TWO kids up very early. Ugh! Aren't weekends for sleeping in? I don't think my kids ever got that memo.

I told Ian to go to the bathroom, grab Gymbo (his lovey) and come join us in bed. We've never been in this situation before where both kids are up at the same time (before the crack of dawn) and there is absolutely no reason to be. Usually the kids alternate on who is going to take that honor and the other one will sleep to a more manageable time in the morning.

So there we were, Jeff, Me, Ian, Samantha, and two loveys (Ian had his Gymbo doll and Sam had her pinky doll). Believe it or not, we had enough room and no one got crushed. However, an extra 30 minutes of sleep never happened. As you can imagine, Ian starts talking, Sam chimes in with whats on her mind and I start thinking of everything that I could be doing instead of trying to pretend to be asleep. I think at the most we made it another 10 minutes and by 5:45am, we were all up.

No wonder I never have a problem meeting my Gazelles for an early 6:00amish run. If I am going to be awake, I might as well start the day on a good foot. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment