Pages

Monday, May 3, 2010

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to registration we go!

Today we register Ian for kindergarten. It will happen at his elementary school from 1:00 to 2:45pm this afternoon.

This is a big deal for the Toppall family. I can remember when it came time to register Ian for preschool. Back then, if I could've found a boarding school option for preschool, there are some days I may have sent him. But I felt fortunate in finding a really great preschool that didn't require kids to be potty trained. I was able to start him right after he turned 2, and he has enjoyed the last 3 years at Adat Reyim.

Ah, but it is time now to register for kindergarten. Jeff has taken off a few hours from work to join us. I've got a babysitter lined up for Samantha. I'll pick up Ian early from school. We'll get a quick bite to eat beforehand and then meet up with Jeff. I've heard that this orientation is set-up for you to take a tour and move through 4 different stations. I am hoping that Ian instantly gets a good feeling from this very big boy experience. If not, then it will be a long summer trying to convince him otherwise that Kindergarten is going to be great.

I've been a bit of a freak lately trying to find other boys who we may know that will be in Ian's class. Someone told me that soccer would be a good place to find fellow classmates. Of course, at the first practice, I'm running around to all the parents going "Fairview? Anyone? Fairview?" No such luck.

I did find a mom who recently joined my Burke MOMs Club and has a little boy named Alex. The family moved to the area not too long ago from Australia. Ian and Alex hit it off and now I just need to hope that they get placed in the same class. From what I understand, there are two morning sessions and one afternoon session. My fingers are crossed that Ian is put in the afternoon session. The morning session gets done way to early in the day and leaves a big 5 hour window for us to fill up each day.

I am not really concerned about Ian making friends. He is by far the most social person I know. He is incredibly friendly and has no problems going up to a complete stranger and saying hi. I think I need him to know a few boys in his class before school starts more so for me than for him. This is all new territory for us. Getting to know new kids, getting to know new moms. If I can get a jump start on checking them out, then by the time Fall comes, I can be anxious about something else completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment