Pages

Friday, May 7, 2010

A sad, sad day

My Toppall team lost a key member today. It was decided after a pretty big nose bleed last night that it was time to put Bailey down.

The outpouring of support has been overwhelming. I started the day off making the appointment to put Bailey down at 4:30pm this afternoon; Jeff coming home early to take care of the kids, while I took Bailey by myself. Once word got out on what was going to happen, my friend Stefanie insisted on picking up the kids and taking them back to her house for a playdate (she has 2 kids the same ages as mine). She didn't think it would be a good idea for them to see Bailey leave the house. Heather heard the news and instantly got her husband Mike to come home early so she could go with me. She was with me when I took him home at 7 weeks and wanted to be there with me during this very difficult step. My other friend Wendy didn't want me to drive by myself (the vet is right across the street, within walking distance) and she insisted on coming. Coming back home today from picking Ian up from school, we found a beautiful bouquet of flowers, two frosted cookies for the kids and a sweet condolence note from a wonderful family friend. This is in addition to countless phone calls, emails, and text messages.

Before you knew it, we had quite the entourage. Jeff, Heather, Wendy and me filled up the room and was there for Bailey during his last moments. Bailey held his head up high and never showed an ounce of pain or slowing down.

The dr was wonderful and spent a lot of time beforehand talking us through the procedure. Right before giving him the drugs that would put him under, she came back in the room with oreo cookies for Bailey to enjoy. When we said we were ready for her to proceed, it happened very quickly.

Today was one of the hardest things I've had to live through. The vet said she noticed the divot on Bailey's nose was getting bigger. Something I didn't notice. Also, the neighbor who lives across the street came over to say good-bye and said she could tell Bailey had lost a bit of weight. Again, something else I hadn't noticed. Doing this today was the right thing. Knowing this doesn't make it any easier.

I'd like to share a favorite story about Bailey. When Bailey was about a year old, Heather left on a trip and parked her car on the main street outside my condo development. She asked if I could keep an eye on it while she was away. Wouldn't you know, the one week she chooses to park her car (and didn't leave me the car keys, mind you), Arlington Country decides they need to dig up the road right under the spot her car is parked. Signs were posted the day prior requesting that no one park there when they come back the next day to do their work. I quickly called the road work people and asked what will happen to my friend's car if it is not moved. The woman on the phone said that I should go to the work men and tell them the situation. They will tow her car around the corner and let me know exactly where they are moving it.

So the first thing the next morning, Bailey and I go out to find the work men. I found the main guy in charge and started talking to him. In mid conversation, another one of the work men, who was standing across the street, started shouting, "Lady! Lady! Lady with the dog!" I said, "Yes?" The man replied with, "Your dog is eating a dead bird." I look down and to my horror, Bailey who was on leash and barely moved from the spot we stopped at to chat with the guy, managed to find a dead bird to eat. It was a HUGE, black crow-type of bird and he had half of it in his mouth and the other half was still sticking out. I shrugged my shoulders at the guy and replied with "You pick your battles and this isn't one of them." I was not about to go in Bailey's mouth and wrestle him for that bird. Yuck!

I will miss my furry baby. He was with me each step of the way for the training on getting to the first 10 mile run I ever did. I'll never forget his support. And before I met Jeff, he would sleep right by my side. We'd start the night off with him on his half of the bed and me on mine. It was a queen sized bed and plenty of room for us to each stretch out. By the time morning came, he'd be sharing my pillow with me and his long front leg would be stretched out across my body. I swear Bailey was spooning with me. Bailey always made me feel safe too. I knew that no matter who was at the door, he would be there to protect me.

I will miss you greatly my faithful companion. You were one of the best there was and lived up to the great honor of being named after Brandon, my childhood German Shepherd. I hope you two have found each other by now and started chasing squirrels and getting into trouble together. I love you forever.

7 comments:

  1. oh robyn...i'm in tears....
    what a great tribute to bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn I'm crying with you but utterly rejoicing that Bailey is running free among the blossoms on his own...with no pain and nothing holding him down. My love to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robyn,

    What an amazing women you are! As I sit here in tears remembering the 1st time I met Bailey and well you for that matter - you are right he never left your side and you never left his! What a wonderful sendoff you gave him! Bailey will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On one of my many trips to DC, I was staying with you and we decided to walk Bailey. As a professional dog walker and sitter, I was confident as I took his leash. I was, however, unprepared as Bailey tore off in search of a nearby squirrel (?). I ran after him (or was I dragged?) wearing inappropriate dress shoes, determined to hold onto his leash. Eventually his speed and power won out and luckily we were able to catch up with him a few blocks down.

    On another trip, my friend Suzanne and I stayed with you and Bailey took an immediate liking to her and I believe he slept with her all night on the sofa.

    Bailey was sweet, loving, energetic. much like his mom. :-)

    I will miss him. Robyn and family--I am truly sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear! That's a great tribute to him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much everyone for your comments. I really appreciate the support and hearing your personal favorite stories of Bailey. The house is so quiet without him. He was such a big presence in our lives. I keep thinking Bailey will walk thru the door and come back home. I take comfort in knowing that he is no longer suffering.

    ReplyDelete