Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

It's a better world when you have friends

I joke with Jeff that I hope to never make a new friend. I have plenty as it is and already have a tough time staying in touch with the ones I have. It is a juggling act getting to see my friends often enough and still spending as much time with the family as I want. Adding more friends would only eat up time I don't have to give to these new friendships.

About a year ago, this woman and I were walking out of the gym at the same time and she commented on my workout. "It looks like you had a great run this morning." That's basically all she had to say and I was puddy eating out of her hands. We joke that she picked me up at the gym. I came home and told Jeff that my running got noticed and he said, "I'm sorry, you've made a new friend." Ha! Not hardly. I was not going to get to know this woman and do nothing to encourage a friendship. However, this woman (who I come to find out is named Maria) was extra friendly and would try to start a conversation with me each time I saw her. Eventually I met her for bagels one morning while our kids were in school and started getting to know her.

If someone told me that a year later I'd be leaving a surprise bouquet of flowers at her doorstep for her 40th birthday, you could've knocked me over with a feather. And if someone told me that I'd be going to a birthday party being thrown for her by one of her friends where I knew no one but her, you'd also be able to knock me over with a feather. But that is exactly what happened. Somewhere over the past year, this Maria has become a friend and I feel like my life has become so much more sweeter with her in it.

Maria is one of the main Gazelles I run with on Saturday mornings and go to the local races with. She is so inspiring and makes me want to be a better runner. She is incredibly dedicated to running, but also has a great time doing it.

Unfortunately all the other Gazelles were out of town and not able to attend her party. I was certain I would feel more than a little uncomfortable walking into a complete stranger's house and not know anyone but Maria. On Friday, I asked Heather if she wanted to go to the party with me. She said yes! Heather is a great person to take to a party. She will never embarrass you with her behavior, she can relate to almost anyone and she doesn't mind not knowing anyone. Plus, she offered to pick me up, what more do you need in a date?

Heather and I had a wonderful time at the party. There was about 25 people there and we met and spoke to just about everyone. It was an incredibly welcoming group and the laughs came easy. This one guy there named Greg looked very familiar to Heather. Heather has the most amazing memory for faces. If she says someone looks familiar, then you can bet all the tea in China that Heather has met them at some point in her life. It turns out that Greg and Heather went out on a date approx. 10 years ago. Nothing ever came of it and they quickly lost touch and never spoke again. Right away, Heather and I had the same thought -- this guy would be perfect for our friend Wendy. He is a really nice guy and his interests are right up Wendy's alley. Hey, who knows if they will have chemistry or not, but it is worth a shot.

I really do think everything happens for a reason. And now I feel like becoming friends with Maria is part of my inspiration for being the runner that I've turned into. And taking Heather to this party was supposed to happen too. Maybe this is the guy that Wendy will end up with. She is such a wonderful person and deserves to be with someone who is worthy.

I didn't realize I had room in my life for another friend until Maria came along and showed me that there is always room for one more.

1 comment:

  1. robyn...this post gave me goose bumps! i feel so blessed to have met you, which in turn, means meeting the gazelles and becoming a more inspired woman! the power of female friendships is truly amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete