Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Moms On The Run

I've become part of something fabulous. This group of amazing women formed a few months ago and we meet each Saturday morning to run, usually a distance of 6 to 7 miles.

When we first started there was 4 of us. These women are anywhere from 4 to 6 inches taller than me and easily weigh 30 pounds less. I call them Gazelles because that is what they look like when they are running....their long legs stretched wide apart, gaining speed as their body warms up and running like the wind. Then there is me. It takes me about 3 steps to equal their one. I feel like a hamster on wheel doing double-time to keep up. We all start out together, but soon, no matter how badly I want it, I'll never be running right beside them. I feel happy when I can keep their bodies still in view, knowing I am not doing that bad of a job too far behind. We are all run at our own pace and it is inspiring when our per minute mile time gets quicker. The crazy thing is, while I coined the term "gazelle" to describe these women, they think of me as one too. And they've seen me! It makes me want to do a better job. I'd hate to disappoint them. We are each other's best cheerleaders and together there is nothing we can't accomplish.

We meet very early on Saturday mornings, usually in the 6:00am hour. It is important that we do this before the kids' activities have us running in all directions. This is something we do just for ourselves. It is "me" time. It helps me clear my head, get the day off to a great start, and is a great stress-reliever. Running for me is free therapy! After coming back from a run, I feel incredible! On top of my game!

I find these women so inspiring. All of them have their reasons for being out there. One of the Gazelles will find a race for us to run and the next thing you know, we are standing at the starting line waiting to take off. Since the end of February, I've run more races these past few months combined, than I have in all my years prior. I've done the "Love the run you're with 5k", Cherry Blossom 10 miler", "Rockstar 8k", "Island Creek Crock Trot 5k", and most recently, the "Pacer's Mother day 1/4 quarter marathon".


I ran the 1/4 marathon (6.55 miles) on Mother's day in Bailey's honor. I had a heckuva scare when I realized I didn't have my headphones with me and left them at home. Wendy was going to join me at Mile 2 and run with me for a little bit. I called her in a panic and asked her to bring me an extra pair. As hard as it was going to be to run with no music, I figured I could do it for the 2 miles before relief came. However, I didn't see Wendy at Mile 2 and just kept running. Each time I thought of slowing down, my mind went to Bailey. I knew he would never slow down and I wasn't going to either. I managed to run for 4.5 miles before Wendy somehow miraculously found me. She had an extra pair of headphones to lend me and we ran the last 2 miles together. I ran the entire race and the majority of it was done in a manner I never thought possible. But it goes to show you that with the right mindset, nothing is impossible!

Due to the impending summer heat, I am taking a break from the registered races over the summer, but will still be an active participant in our Gazelle runs on Saturdays. I hope these never go away. Riding on the coat tails of the Mother's day race, we have all registered for the Marine Corps 10k on October 31, 2010. One of the women, Maria, will be doing her first marathon on this day.

Another one of the Gazelle's, Amy, formed this group on Facebook called "MOMS ON THE RUN"....coming together to run away from it all. Our group is slowly growing and we post pictures from our races on this page. I never in a million years thought I would be a part of something so wonderful.

I look forward to our runs each week. I love being around these women. With their support and encouragement there is nothing I can't do.

1 comment:

  1. great post robyn! i too LOVE our group...and it's all thanks to you :)

    ReplyDelete