Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Drenched.

I can sum up Summer 2011 in one word, "SWEAT". 

This is the summer I seem to have started sweating and can't stop.  Yuck!  I don't "glisten", "glow" or "perspire" like some people.  I sweat!  There are few things grosser than feeling a drip of wetness start at the top of your back or front and drip all the way down.  And then it repeats over and over until you are soaked. There is only so much protection you can ask from your deodorant.  I am finding the heat unbearable and to make matters worse, I seem to be outdoors much more than I'd like to be. 

With the marathon training well underway, I can't seem to start early enough to escape the extreme sweating that is taking place.  A few weeks ago, we did a 12 mile run, starting at 5:00am.  It was still completely dark out and the temps were already 80 degrees. Oh my!  You can imagine what I looked like 2.5 hours later when the run was over. Fortunately I survived our Saturday runs in June and July and now just need to make it through August. 

The heat wave the D.C. Metro area is experiencing isn't helping the situation.  This past month has officially gone down in the record books as the warmest July on average.  Oy!  Walking from the car to indoors throughout the day has me worn out and gasping for cool air.  The high temps of 98+ degree weather is enough for me to hibernate until Fall.  There are some days that even going to the pool isn't refreshing enough and the water is too warm.  It's much easier to stay indoors where the AC is blowing strong and I can temporarily forget it is 102 degrees outside, with a heat index of 112. I am generally a happy person, but this heat has me becoming miserable.

This Saturday, our schedule has us running 14 miles.  We will be meeting at 4:30am to accomplish this.  The training plan I am following says the long runs should be 90 seconds to 2 minutes per mile slower than normal and to go even slower to safely train when heat and humidity are factors.  I am already going slow; if I go much slower, the heat is really going to catch up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment