Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Remember to say I love you.

This week is a very sad one for my husband's family.  Jeff's sister's husband lost his father very unexpectedly.  According to reports, he was in the car driving to pick up his other son, had a heart attack and crashed into a tree.  It sounds like it was instant and pain-free.

I had the good fortune of knowing Harold Salter.  Even though Howard's parents live in Michigan, they'd come to MD often to visit their son, daughter-in-law and grandson.  From time to time, we'd all get together and I got to know what a wonderful husband, father, and grandfather he was.  I always enjoyed our time together.

I am a firm believer that when it is your time to go, there is little you can do to cheat death.  I am not saying that it is a license to do drugs or live dangerously because it wouldn't matter one way or another.  And I am certainly not saying that if given a diagnosis of some kind of disease, you shouldn't fight like hell to recover, but at some point, you've been given a hand to play by G-d, and when the cards are done, your time is up. 

I try to find the good in any situation (no matter how much it sucks) and have come to the following conclusions:

Howard and Matthew were currently up in Michigan and had a wonderful 3 or 4 days visiting with Harold before the tragic event.  This to me is HUGE, as they have some very recent, great memories of their father/grandfather.
My in-laws were not currently on a trip somewhere and had the opportunity to easily leave Baltimore as soon as they heard the news and be a comforting presence for Howard and his family.
No one else was in the car with Harold and he didn't involve any other cars in the accident.
It was quick and hopefully, relatively pain-free.

To my sister-in-law and her family, I will be thinking of you today and extend my deepest sympathies during this difficult time. You and the family are in my thoughts and prayers.  May you remember Harold as the wonderful, caring, loving man that he was.

Once again, we are reminded it can all change on a dime.  Your here one minute, taken in the next.  I try so hard to always tell those around me how much I love them.  Whenever I talk to my family, we always end every call with "I love you". 

And so if your reading this right now, there is a good chance that you are very special to me.  I love that you are in my life and treasure our time together.  I hope I don't take our friendship for granted.  And if I am lucky enough to be related to you, please know that I couldn't ask for a better family.  While I have little in terms of material possessions, it matters more that I am very rich in love, friendship, and family.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment