Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Must see!

I love books. I love to read.  I love losing myself in the story and having the characters come alive in my mind.  And when I find a good book, I can not put it down.  I simply must finish it at whatever cost.  

More than a year ago, I read this amazing book called, "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  It came recommended by a few people, but hadn't really reached the enormous popularity it knows until after I read it. Probably because of my big mouth telling everyone I knew to read it.  I remember having a hard time fitting the book in during the day and was reading it at night before I went to bed.  Before long, the book sucked me in and I was losing whole nights of sleep to finish it.  No matter how tired I was, I couldn't put it down.  Finally, after the 2nd night of no sleep, I finished the book.  I was torn between not wanting it to end and wishing I could get to the last page as quickly as possible so I could finally get to sleep. 

And, when I returned the book to the library (this was before the Kindle), I asked the librarian if she had read it as I handed it over.  When she replied yes, I had a 15 minute conversation with this person I had never seen before on how great I thought the book was.  I had to talk about it with someone....anyone.  It was such a good book and it had been awhile since I read anything that great.  I knew no matter what I followed that book up with, it was going to pale in comparison and not stand a chance in my opinion.

So they made "The Help" into a movie.  Usually they mess with the book so much that the movie has a very different feel to it and you walk away disappointed.  Whether the ending is completely different, huge chunks of the story are missing or the cast is completely wrong from what you envisioned, you wish they didn't touch it with a 10 foot pool if this was going to be the result. 

This is not the case with "The Help".  From the beginning to the very end, the movie was brilliantly done. The book was brought to life in a way that did it justice and made you smile, cry and be in awe of how fantastic this story was to see on the big screen.  Oh, how I loved it. 

Phenomenal is the adjective that comes to mind.  All of it.  The screenplay, the cast, the acting; I couldn't get enough.  2 hours and 17 minutes was not enough time.  I wanted more!  Just llike the book, I didn't want it to end!  Usually in a movie, I start looking at my watch about an hour in to it and see how long I've been there and guess how much longer there is left to see.  And these are movies I am enjoying!  But not "The Help"...no sireee bob!  I didn't check the time once.  I suppressed the urge to pee and I sat captivated through it all.

It has been a fantastic summer for movies.  From "Bridesmaids" to "Horrible Bosses" I've been enjoying the movies like no other summer in a very long time.  But I have to say, "The Help" has now been added to my list of all time favorites.

And if you haven't seen it yet, go now!

No comments:

Post a Comment