Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Taking stock

The other day Jeff asked me yet again if I am going to purchase the iPad 2.  I had been saving my money (since I don't have any kind of income this is not an easy task) and had collected a few Apple gift cards for my birthday.  Between the two, I have enough to get the model I want - the iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G - 32 GB, which retails for $729.  Plus, you can't forget the cool cover, which is an additional $39. 

It is very exciting and something I have been dreaming about for some time.  However, I am hesitant to get it.  Why, you ask?  I am not entirely sure what is holding me back.  I "heart" technology in a very big way.  I am also experiencing similar feelings on wanting a new cell phone.  I've had the same blackberry now for 2.5 years.  There are much, much cooler phones out on the market and I could take advantage of my upgrade availability and get one.  But yet, I am not running to the Verizon store to do that either.

It's all very strange and new territory for me to be in.  Part of me feels like enough is enough.  Everything the iPad 2 and a new cell phone can do, I already have the ability to do that now - maybe not in one singular device, but most definitely in multiple devices.  I am definitely not missing out on being able to check email, surf the web, update my FB status or run an app on what I currently own.

But the part of me that is thinking I want the latest and greatest, is that as soon as I spend the several hundred dollars on an iPad 2, a new model will be released within the next month or two.  Isn't that always the case?  If am able to go this long without it, why not wait for the newer model?

As for the cell phone my plan is to wait until Verizon announces the iPhone 5.  It should be coming out in the Fall of '11.

My new strategy is to sit it out and wait.  There is no harm in giving it a few more months and seeing what is on the market as we enter the Holiday season.

I came across the following title to a book; this is a basic summary of what it said:  "Love what you have, have what you need, be happier with less."   I really like this message. I am going to try to incorporate it more in my day to day.  It sort of puts into perspective all of these gadgets and makes it less important and necessary to have.  So I will tell Jeff that I am not ready to get the iPad 2 just yet.  Maybe the iPad 3.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment