Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Got lunch?

We started the school year telling Ian he could buy his lunch at school one day, per week. It was up to Ian which day looked like his best bet.  After a few weeks, Jeff and I realized it was more cost effective for Ian to buy his lunch than for me to make it.  Plus, I got the benefit of not having to pack one.  Win-win!

When Ian was given carte blanche to do lunch at school every day, he was momentarily very excited. Then Ian realized he didn't think he'd like enough options offered on the Fairfax County public school menu to want to do it every day. Back in kindergarten when his class was given a test run doing lunch, Ian tried the pizza and hated it.  Normally, one of Ian's favorite foods is pizza, so it must've been very bad.  That took Fridays out of the rotation for the entire year!!

The other days during the week all depended for Ian on a combination of what sides and entree were being offered.  He has high standards and won't accept just anything.  Ian very rarely did lunch more than 1 or 2 days in any given week.  You can imagine my disappointment when I would tell Ian that the sides were broccoli and orange quarters (his favorites), but the entree was a bean and cheese burrito or a hamburger.  I knew if Ian just gave it a chance, he'd probably like it. Back-up each day in case you didn't like the featured entrees was a packaged boxed of items called a "Yogurt Biteable".  It contains yogurt, fruit, sun chips, and a cheese stick.  Another winner as Ian would normally eat all these items on their own at home.  However, at school, Ian wouldn't do it.   I never argued and made his lunch each day.  Hey, its my job!

The entire year passed.  I made many, many lunches and sent them with Ian to school.  On the Sunday before the last week of school, Ian and I went over his cafeteria menu.  It wasn't looking good, even for one day for Ian to buy.  Each day gave one or two options, none that had Ian excited about.  However, there was this "Manager's Choice" written in for each day.  Ohhh!  Jeff and I quickly deduced that meant whatever extra food they had leftover they wanted to get rid of.   I told Ian he could take a gamble and maybe get lucky with something he liked.  He was willing to take the risk!  Every single day!!  Including pizza Friday.  Wow. 

One by one, Ian tried all the foods I knew he would like all along.  The yogurt biteable?  Check!  The bean and cheese burrito?  Check!    It was very exciting hearing Ian tell me what he got and that he liked it. 

Too bad this all happened the last week in school.  Good thing it was in 1st grade.

The funniest moment came when Ian jumped in the car and told me he loved the nachos! 

Me:  Really, Ian?  You liked what they put on top of them? 
Ian:  I told them to keep it plain. 
Me:  So basically you had a chips for lunch?
Ian:  Yeah, they kept it as an entree too.
Me:  Lovely. (said sarcastically).  What sides did you get with it?
Ian:  Ice cream!  Wasn't that great?!?
Me:  Yes, perfect.  (again, said sarcastically).

Maybe it was a good thing that I packed his lunch for the majority of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment