Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Overhaul

In the 7 years we have lived here, we've done very little to the house.  Other than immediate repairs and other items that require getting fixed or replaced (like a new refrigerator, stove, AC/Heating unit) to keep the house running, nothing cosmetic has gotten done.  Basically, it has to be a need to have, not a want to have. 

Understandably so, this strategy has been put in action by my lack of income. It was a choice that was made back in May 2005, when Ian was born.   There is only so much you can do with one income. Living in one of the most expensive counties in the country, we make Jeff's paycheck go as far as it can.  But it leaves very little for anything above the necessities.  I wouldn't change a thing about the choices that were made.

Something has awoken within me. Once we had the small flooding occur downstairs in our family room/office/playroom and general everything-you-need-this-room-to-be-room, I have now put working on our house at the top of my list.  The carpet and wood floors has been something I've wanted to replace for a very long time.   While the floors looked awesome when we moved in, who knows just how old the carpet actually was.  Additionally, small kids and Bailey have taken their toll.  Jeff felt that the carpet from our flood could be salvaged.  I felt very differently and looked at the flooding like the icing on the cake for being time to get new carpet.  Also, while we were at, the bedrooms really needed new carpeting too.  Believe me, it was time.  I feel like we have to start putting some money into the house.  Jeff feels it is not necessary for our survival.  Obviously we are not seeing eye to eye on this.  So, I am taking matters into my hand and paying for the carpet myself.  Yes, with my little job working for The Man, I am doing it.  And then when I get the carpet paid off, I am moving on to the next thing on my list -- the fireplace.  I hate the cables coming out of our tv (which is mounted on the fireplace).  I don't like that you can see them.  I hate seeing the FIOS box, DVD player and wii.  I want it all built into the wall and hidden.  Also, the front of the fireplace has a brass frame around it.  Can you say ugly?!?  I want it removed.  And, while I am at it, I think the whole brick front would look much better painted white. 

And then after that is paid for, I am moving onto the kitchen.  New cabinets and counter tops.  Maybe by the time, I've gotten on to this renovation, the kids will be in school full-time and I'll actually be making some money. 

I don't see us moving any time soon.  And I don't see my dream remolding happening of knocking down the back wall of the whole house and expanding on every level (bigger master bedroom/bath, bigger, updated kitchen, and then adding in a guest room/full bath on the bottom floor).  So in the meantime, I am going to do my best to knock off the things I can do, one by one. 

2 comments:

  1. Have you checked with your homeowners insurance company? If you had a flood, you may be entitled to some $$ to cover repair/replacing carpets, etc. It's worth a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Yes!! We did check with our homeowners insurance. They sent out an adjuster to check the damage and said it was all because of 'surface' water...which basically means flooding from the outside is not covered. Between me and you, I am not really upset this happened. I am getting new carpeting!! :)

    ReplyDelete