Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Streaming.

I know I am very late to the game.  In terms of how fast technology moves, it might as well be obsolete now by the time I discovered streaming video.  But WOW!  Am I glad I did.  We've been Netflix customers for many years.  And usually it's just Ian that streams classic cartoons through the wii to watch. I prefer watching movies on the discs that get sent in the mail.   However, about 2 weeks ago I decided to give streaming a go.

There is very little on tv right now that has captured my attention.  I saw one of those newsy-entertainment shows the other day talk about the new season of "Breaking Bad" about to start.  I hadn't even heard of this show and the reporter was saying it was one of the best shows ever done.  Hmmm, it got me interested in wanting to check it out.  I started streaming the first season and watching it on the ipad, through the Netflix app.  This was incredibly cool.  I figured I would do one episode each night before bed.  It took exactly 2 episodes before I got ridiculously hooked to this show. I can't stop watching it!  I understand what all the hype is.  This show rocks!

The coolest thing is I can watch an episode anywhere.  When I am at home, I can stream it through my tv in the family room (where the wii is hooked up).  When I am anywhere wifi is offered, I can stream it though the iPad. And when I am just out and about (or Jeff is driving), I can stream it on my iPhone.  Going back and forth to Williamsburg for Great Wolf Lodge, I was able to watch 2 episodes each way.  The streaming capability is phenomenal and the show comes across without a hitch.  I love that it is commercial free too.  The best part is, I can stop in mid-show and pick it up exactly where I left off on another device.  Got to love technology!

Of course, my list of 8 books I want to read has now taken a major back seat.  Kindle?  What's that?!?!    There are 46 episodes to watch until I am caught up with the beginning of Season 5, which just started.  I am recording that on my DVR, so I can start watching it right away and not need to wait for Netflix to offer it.  I am proud to say (or is it very pathetic?) that I did it and have managed to watch all 4 seasons by the time you are reading this.  It helped greatly that I was home all day yesterday, kid-free, because we had new carpet being installed. 

It's funny, sort of like when you get a new car and then you see that same exact model all over the road.  It seems like everyone I know is watching this show. Every time I turn around I hear another person say how they've just started watching it.  And they've all gotten hooked as quickly as I did.  It doesn't take long.

Streaming...my new favorite thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment