Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Five Sweet Years

Just before I turned 30, I was convinced I would never meet "The One". I figured marriage wasn't in my cards and I needed to continue to live my life to the fullest. I was not going to get hung up that I would never have a 'plus one' to events. It was a devastating weekend for me to come to this realization, but I survived and did what was in my power. I bought a condo and got a dog. What else does a person need?

About 15 months later I got a call from a good friend named Dana who asked if I wanted to be set-up. She worked with this guy named Josh who knew a guy that they wanted to set me up with. "Sure" was my reply. What did I have to lose? I asked Dana for details about this guy and got extremely little information back. Dana barely knew his name. Josh sent out an email to the both of us as an introduction. Before I could figure out the appropriate amount of time I should wait before responding, Jeff took the initiative and sent me an email. It was a top 10 list of completely random things to know about Jeff. I absolutely loved his approach and he had me at hello. Seriously. He took cues from things I had written in emails back to him and planned a great first date. He made sure the Thai restaurant had plenty of vegetarian options and had purchased tickets to The Improv for afterwards well in advance. He even had an umbrella ready to hold over my head as it had started raining sometime during the date.

We were engaged 9 months later and the wedding took place 14 months past that date. It was wonderful falling in love and I still look at Jeff most days and fall deeper than I did the day before. He isn't perfect, but he is perfect for me. He can look at me and instantly tell something is bothering me. He knows my moods and appropriately reacts. He gets me. He asks how my day was and really listens to my response. He remembers things I've told him in the past. He makes me laugh all the time. He is my biggest supporter and cheerleader. And, he'll knock me down a peg or two if he thinks I am in the wrong -- which rarely occurs. :) He is compassionate, caring, generous, and a little neurotic about our finances. Jeff is also one of the most intelligent people I've ever met. He can be brutally honest sometimes and I wouldn't want it any other way. He is affectionate and likes to hold my hand. I like that. He completes me and makes me be a better person. I believe with all my heart, Jeff is my soul mate.

Today marks our five year wedding anniversary. Sometimes it feels like we've been together a lifetime and I don't remember what life was like before he came into mine. Other times I feel like we are still getting to know each other -- who knew he didn't like piano bars after going to 4 of them with me?!?!? We've covered a lot of ground in the past 5 years. Between buying our house, having two kids, making a few career changes, there is no one I would rather go through life's ups and downs with. At the end of the day, it's Jeff that I want by my side.

It was a wonderful surprise how Dana's phone call to me turned out. They say things happen when you least expect them. I can honestly say that everything worked out the way it was supposed to. 31 years, 16 months, 22 days and 19 hours was more than worth the wait.

I love you honey with all my heart and look forward to many more amazing years with you. Each day has been a wonderful adventure.

1 comment: