Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Soccer the 2nd time around

What a difference a year makes!! Ian tried soccer last year and never made it beyond the first practice. In fact, Jeff did more running on the field than Ian did. There are many reasons why Ian probably didn't take to it. It was an unseasonably hot day, he refused to wear the shin guards, and he always finds a way to surprise us when we think he'll really enjoy something.

I was more than surprised when a few months ago Ian announced "soccer is my life" and he expressed a strong interest in playing again. Without further ado, I researched a new league to put him in and registered for the Fall 2009 season.

Because of Ian's history with the sport, I received special permission to hold him back and start over again in the U4 division. Why in the world would I want to purchase two team shirts (a red one and blue one) and have him do a practice session once during the week and a game on Saturdays when in reality he may hate it and we are back to square one? No thank you! We can build up to that. Plus, I feel it is good he gets the fundamentals down and make sure he really likes it before we get carried away with all the requirements of the U5 league. If he enjoys participating in U4 for the whole season, then we can make the jump to U5 in the Spring.

To my delight, Ian has taken to soccer like a fish to water. He slept with his soccer ball the night before the big day. He couldn't wait to put on his team shirt and shorts and even made his uniform complete with the shin guards. It was like we were dealing with a brand new Ian. Once on the field he listened to the coach and gave it his 100% in participation. It was a very exciting moment for me. Seeing Ian enjoy being out there had a smile on my face almost as big as his.

Now I just need the minivan to make the 'soccer mom' image complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment