Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Teenagers today

So as I've mentioned a few times before, my sister Lori is getting married in October, on Sunday, the 11th. We are quickly approaching the big day...it is officially less than one month away!

I also have another sister. Her name is Meghan and she is 17 years old (yes, we are 21 years apart!). Meghan is incredibly social. This girl has friends! In fact, according to her Facebook profile, she has 991 of them. She lives in the city Lori is getting married in...Orlando. The wedding (ceremony and reception) is being held at a beautiful hotel. Jeff and I are checking in on Friday and will be 'living' there until Monday afternoon when our flight is scheduled to go back home. We figured it is much easier with 2 kids in tow to stay at the spot where all the festivities are taking place rather than going back and forth to one of my parent's houses.

My kids are not part of the wedding. Let me just say I am totally ok with my sister's decision and agree with her that kids have no place at a wedding. Not to mention, it would be an added layer of stress making sure they behaved and didn't cause a big disruption. They will be dressed up for pictures, but will not be seen at any part of the ceremony or reception.

Jeff and I devised a plan to have one of Meghan's friends come help us for the weekend. We have done the math and figured at $12 an hour (the going rate for a babysitter in NoVa) for the two days we need her is approx. $250 for the weekend, plus of course, we will cover all meals. And, this job couldn't be any easier -- during the days on Saturday and Sunday, she would mostly be an extra pair of hands. We will have adjoining rooms and if Sam needs to go down for a nap, she can be near her while she is sleeping, but still be able to be on the phone, watch tv, or text in the adjoining room. This will give us the chance to be with our other child out and about or by the hotel pool (which if anyone knows the Hyatt Regency Grand Cyprus in Orlando is spectacular!) and still free me to help Lori with wedding things. And when Sam is awake, the babysitter can hang with everyone having fun doing whatever we are doing.

In the evenings, the events (rehearsal dinner on Sat. night and wedding on Sun. night) are starting late enough, that when the babysitter is by herself with both kids, they will only be awake at the most for an hour or two before they go to bed. Again, she can put them down in one room and hang out in the other.

Here's the dilemma - with all the friends Meghan has, she can not get anyone to commit to babysitting for us. None of the friends are willing to say they will show up. Call me crazy, but isn't $250 for the weekend a good deal for a 17 year old who is still in high school? And, these girls know my kids and really like them...they've sat for them a few times before in Orlando in the past. They know how much fun they are. They know how easy this can be.

I am astounded that these kids have no desire to work. That a weekend of hanging out with their friends is more important.

Meghan is still working on finding someone to help us. But as we get closer to the big day, I am starting to freak out. I know the hotel offers babysitting services, but I really don't want a complete stranger watching my kids.

Back in the day I would've jumped at the chance to do something like this. I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come with this generation. Or else, we are in trouble.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's the idea for these girls that this "assignment" would take up an ENTIRE weekend? Wonder if your little sister could recruit two (or more?) friends to take shifts?

    I know that you would probably prefer to have one babysitter the entire time (and who could blame you), but it's probably the idea of an ENTIRE weekend of babysitting that is daunting.

    ReplyDelete