Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Ian the Terrible

My mom is convinced we (Jeff & I) need parenting discipline classes. We, as adults, should be in charge at all times and not be manipulated by the temper tantrums thrown by a four year old. For the past couple of years now my mom has offered to pay for these parenting classes. Each time Ian throws one of his world-class fits in her presence, my mom is reaching in her purse for her checkbook. I keep saying, he is 4 and this is how a four year old acts. My mom replies with, in a few months you'll be saying he is 5 and then he is 6 and the excuses will never end.

I've gotten amazingly good at ignoring Ian when he starts yelling and stomping his feet. The other day I wanted to run a few errands and Ian wanted nothing to do with it. His fit started way before I even got him to get his shoes on when trying to leave the house. He yells at the top of his lungs that he is not leaving and will not go anywhere with me. I tell him goodbye and carry Sam to the car. I know that I can call his bluff and he doesn't want to be left behind. And, once in the car, he will do his best to negotiate how many stops we are going to make. Ian is still yelling the whole time. When we get to our destination he'll then refuse to get out of the car. Again, I call his bluff and begin walking away from the car. Soon he is yelling at me to wait so he can catch up.

And, in each store or place we go, Ian will not even take a breath to slow down the yelling and screaming. I am sure people are looking at us but I don't care. I have things that need to get done and if this helps us check out sooner, then so be it. If the people bothered by this display wanted peace and quiet they should've stayed at home.

I feel like I do so much for Ian for him to enjoy each day. I arrange playdates, take him to the park, playground, pool and many other activities; so when I want to go do something I want to do, I feel like he should comply. I simply refuse to give into his attitude and give him his way. I think I'll be able to keep this up a little while longer. At least until Ian realizes I won't actually leave him behind in house, in the car, in the parking lot, in the store.

If you don't tell him, I won't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment