Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Run, Robyn, Run - the conflicted version

It has now been a few days since the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler and I am feeling great. I was most pleased that my legs never felt sore and during the run I didn't suffer from shin splints, blisters or ankle/knee pain. Even waking up the next morning, I had no problems getting on my feet and making my way around the house. Once I was fully hydrated again by Sunday afternoon, I felt 100%. So this has me thinking...

My big motivation for running comes from telling myself that you don't know what your body is capable of doing until you push it to its limit. I had yet to find out what this limit is and would challenge myself with new goals all the time. It is the best feeling ever when you accomplish something you never thought you'd be able to do. So how can you not keep going and challenge yourself with more? I was pretty certain on Sunday that I found out just how much my body could handle and didn't need to keep pushing it anymore. Be happy with all that I've been able to do and call it a day. At least I didn't end up in the hospital or make a big fool of myself by passing out during the race itself.

I never, ever read my horoscope. But on Sunday evening as I was laying in bed and finally getting to The Washington Post, I decided to see what was in the stars for me that day. From The Washington Post, Sunday, April 11th, Cancer:

"It would be nice if you could make your goal in the first or second shot. It probably won't go that way today, but never stop trying. That's the way winners do it, and you definitely fall into that category."

OH MY GAWD!! Is this talking directly to me or what!?!?! Yes, I did finish the 10 Miler and managed to shave 2 1/2 minutes off from my time from 3 years prior, but I left the race feeling discouraged about my overall running time. I really wanted to do it in 1hr 40 minutes, or 1hr 45 minutes tops. And then to throw in getting sick on the way home, did nothing for my morale and made me feel even more I should throw in the towel and only stick to races under 10 miles in distance.

I am convinced that my passing out and throwing-up was a result of severe dehydration. If I only had consumed more water or kept hydrated with Gatorade during the run, then I am sure I wouldn't have had any problems.

While I am not going to change the 1/4 marathon into a 1/2 on the May 9th race, I am going to keep the training going and be ready for the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler in 2011. I refuse to give up and believe I can really do this race up to the level of expectations I set for myself.

Now I just need to hope I get in when the lottery opens next year. And if I don't get in, will that be another sign it was not supposed to be? Oy! A person can drive themselves crazy looking for so many signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment