Pages

Friday, April 23, 2010

Sad news

It is with a heavy heart I write this blog. Bailey's nose started bleeding again on Wednesday evening and I took him to the vet first thing on Thursday morning to be checked. The meds we had been given I thought had done the trick and we were able to successfully treat what I was told was a strain of Lupus that can affect dogs' noses.

However, since the bleeding came back, the dr did a chest x-ray and facial x-ray and said there is definitely something there that shouldn't be. She used the "C" word, cancer. Which by the way, can I tell you how much I hate that word? I think it is the worst word in the whole world. I've already lost my grandmother to it and now I am about to lose my Bailey.

The dr said that due to his age (he'll be 9 next week) and the fact that most German Shepherds live until 9 or 10, the best we could do for him is keep him comfortable. Apparently he has been in a lot of pain and never showed it. She called Bailey "stoic' and said due to his breed, these dogs will not show pain and just endure it quietly.

It all makes sense now. When I went for that run a few weeks ago and Bailey could barely keep up? I thought it was because he was getting to be an old man. In actuality, the Vet said it was probably due to him not being able to breathe properly. He has a lot going on in his chest.

The best case scenario is that we have at best 6 weeks left. The dr. said in almost all the cases, it goes much, much quicker. I can expect a few different scenarios to happen - either the nose bleeds will become much more frequent and more severe and progress toward a full-on hemorrhaging, or his face will start to cave in (because there is a tumor eating away at his bone structure) and he will not be able to continue eating. Or lastly, his overall state of health declines so much he no longer has a good quality of life.

Bailey went from not taking any medication daily to now being on 12 pills a day. We are going to do our best to keep him from any further pain. The dr says we will know when it is time to take that next dreaded step. It won't be a wishy-washy confusing time of should we or shouldn't we put him to sleep.

Until then, Bailey will become the most spoiled, loved, hugged and kissed living thing on this planet. The hard part was telling family and friends. He has meant so much to so many people and brought much joy and happiness to everyone who has met him. They say 'a dog is man's best friend'. When you get to experience the unconditional love they give you and ask for nothing in return, it makes it a better world when you have one near your side.


This is a picture of Bailey and Sam in the drs office, waiting for the results of the x-rays.

2 comments:

  1. I am SO sorry to hear this news. A co-worker of mine just put down her German Shepherd this past weekend (he'd been having seizures due to a brain tumor). It is a very sad day when we lose our pets - they mean so much to us.

    I hope that Bailey's last weeks will be comfortable. I know he'll feel loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca for your kind words. We are hanging in there and so far Bailey seems fine. I am noticing a few more drops of blood, but I have a hard time believing we will go downhill so quickly within the next 5 weeks. I guess this is what they call denial. However, we are taking his condition very seriously and went to Petco last night to stock up on treats and toys for him these last few weeks. And with frosty paws ice cream each night after dinner, it is not a bad way to go.

    Hope you had a good trip. I bet the New England area is beautiful this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete