Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

A trip through Neverland

After running 10 miles, passing out, throwing-up multiple times, taking a shower and recovering this past Sunday, I had plans to take Ian to a production of Peter Pan in the afternoon. It was being produced by the Mount Vernon Community Children's Theatre. Due to my earlier shakiness in the day, Jeff offered to take Ian, but I know Jeff wanted to watch The Masters on TV. So it was an easy decision to leave Sam with Jeff and allow me to have a special outing with Ian. I don't get the chance much anymore to spend time outside the house with only Ian and I was looking forward to it.

I love going to the theatre. There is something magical about seeing a play or musical live right in front of your eyes. It gets you excited to be a part of the action. I've been waiting for the right opportunity to come along for me to introduce Ian to the theatre. This children's theatre company was perfect. It was 2 hours long and included a 15 minute intermission. Ian was enraptured from the very beginning to the curtain coming down at the end. The entire play was done by kids which made it more relatable for Ian. The musical numbers were lively and the actors made the play interactive by coming off the stage, dancing and running through the aisles.

I loved seeing Ian enjoy this. I hope I can take him to other plays in the future and slowly build up to the Rolls Royce of theatre and get tickets for something on Broadway. I have such fond memories of my mom taking my sister and I to see Cats and A Chorus Line in NYC when we were little. If there is such a thing as a theatre gene, I hope Ian and Sam have inherited it.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know about Imagination Stage? It's in Bethesda so not terribly convenient, but all of their shows are geared toward kids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Thanks for this tip. I will definitely look into it. Bethesda can't be that much further than this place in Alexandria we went.

    ReplyDelete