Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Senior Citizen

Is there an AARP for dogs? 63 years old. That is how old Bailey will be in human years when he celebrates his 9th birthday at the end of the month. He has always had the energy of a puppy and eager to go for a long walk or run whenever the opportunity presents itself. In fact, Jeff and I have to spell it out if we are discussing the idea of taking him. Before we can even finish the sentence, he is whimpering and whining, pleading his case to go.

About two weeks ago I was able to do a training run outdoors and since it was relatively low mileage, I decided to throw Bailey a bone and bring him along. Due to the Winter weather, he hadn't been outside for a run for a few months and therefore, hadn't started out with the 1 mile, 2 mile runs before building to 3 mile stretches. However, it had never been a problem before and with his high energy level (do I have kids any other way?!?!), I figured he would be fine. Boy, was I wrong. Not only was Bailey an entire leash length behind, but my arm was extended back the whole way too trying to get him to keep up with me. At first I thought that maybe he needed to warm up and eventually would pick up the speed. Unfortunately that was not the case. Needless to say, for the rest of the day, he was a lump on the floor and barely moved.

The next day we dropped Bailey off at a friend's house. Mike was in need of a playdate and it had been awhile since Bailey had been over for a visit. The timing was perfect as we were headed out of town that weekend for NJ. We supposed to pick Bailey up on Monday, but Mike texted me and asked if he could stay until Thursday evening. He was really enjoying the visit. I love it when Bailey stays at Mike's. He gets all this one-on-one attention and doesn't have to share Mike's love and affection with anyone else. Mike commented to me that Bailey is starting to slow down and is not as flexible as he used to be. He said that he noticed he had trouble getting in his car.

It didn't occur to me that Bailey was getting old. Jeff and I joke all the time how many years we think we have left with him, but it is another matter entirely when the reality sets in. I am now starting to notice the little things too. I guess that gray hair under his mouth was the first sign I quickly overlooked. And his days of running with me are probably behind us. Bailey is a great dog and I hope he gets to rest and enjoy his golden days. He has earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment