Pages

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Working up a sweat

A few weeks ago I heard Ian tell one of his friends that his mother works out every day so that she can be strong. I love that Ian thinks this. If I am not able to make it to the gym, I'll wake up (fingers crossed it is before the kids do) and do one of the wii exercise discs that I own. I have two "My Fitness Coach" and "EA Active" and I like them both for different reasons. Depending on what kind of work-out I am looking to get, will pick one of the discs over the other.

If Ian wakes up while I am in mid work-out, he'll jump right in and join me in doing the exercises. He has his own personal preference on which exercises he likes to do and will decide he needs a break if one comes on that he doesn't like. Ian has started to learn the names of the various exercises and was excited to show his friend how he can do 'jumping lunges' and 'plank'. It is very cute and Ian will even talk to me trying to get my mind off of the more difficult, challenging ones like a holding squat position for 60 seconds. Although when I told Ian he needed to entertain me for a minute, his idea was to countdown for me the entire minute. Which, as you can imagine, was not helpful and more so, made it all the more painful hearing I still had 40 seconds left, then 30, etc. Oy!

The other morning, I got lucky (said sarcastically) and both kids were wide awake when I put on EA Active. Not only did I have Ian joining me, but Sam got in the act too. She decided this looked like fun and the next thing you know three of us were making our way through a 30 minute work-out. I am sure it was a pretty funny site. I'd like to think that I was doing the exercise in perfect form. Then you have Ian who was probably 75% of the way there in accomplishing it correctly. And last, but not least, Sam was attempting it with approx. 20% accuracy.

When it came time to do jumping squats (yikes, this gets a sweat going quickly!), Ian looked very frog like and had the biggest smile on his face at the height he was getting. Sam, on the hand, still hasn't mastered the art of being able to jump, and would squat very low and on the way up would take a leg with her in the air. The rest of her stayed put on the ground. Then she would squat low again and this time on the way up, bring the other leg up in the air. It was so incredibly cute.

I am glad that I can be a positive role model showing the kids that exercise is an important part of our lives, but I felt like Jane Fonda leading a toddler class. Leg warmers, anyone?

1 comment:

  1. What a great example you are setting for your kids. Good on ya, Robyn.

    ReplyDelete