Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tempted

For years now I've wanted to be diagnosed with a thyroid condition and put on the appropriate medication. Each year I go to the dr, I ask for my thyroid to be checked. Each year the dr indulges me even though she says, "you know, there is nothing wrong with you that diet and exercise can't fix." I've even had the dr track me down in FL one year visiting family to give me the depressing news that everything came back fine. The closest I've ever gotten to having a thyroid condition is right after I had Ian and went to the OB/GYN for my 6 week post-partum check-up. Dr. G said (with some extra enthusiasm in her voice), "now we need to check your thyroid because having a baby may have thrown it out of whack." One could only dream this would be the case, but alas, I passed with flying colors.

I do think having a thyroid condition would solve all my problems. I've been eating well, running my ass off, weight training, sleeping well and still can not lose these last 20 pounds to save my life. Truth be told, it is actually like 24 lbs now that need to come off. And believe me, I am not looking to be rail thin; just in the normal, healthy range for my height - and at the high end at that.

I was joking with some friends this past Friday that I believe I have an undetected thyroid condition. The very next day, Bailey's dr calls the house to follow-up on a visit he had earlier in the week. Bailey had been getting nose bleeds (who even knew a dog could get nose bleeds!?!?!?), and I immediately took him to the vet to have him checked. The dr took blood and a urine sample to rule out a bunch of things and was calling with the results. Turns out that Bailey has a thyroid problem and he would like to try him on the meds for the next 30 days to see how he responds. Are you kidding me!?!?! Bailey has a thyroid problem and we weren't even looking for one; while I am DYING for a thyroid condition and can't get one.

This just doesn't seem fair. When I brought Bailey back in to the dr on Monday for a follow-up and was handed his new thyroid medication, I asked the dr what would happen if I started taking it. I, of course, made sure that Bailey's correction was the kind I wanted and not the other way around. She looked at me a little strangely and said I would probably have an increase of energy, not be able to sleep and would start barking. Ok, I am kidding about that last part. :) But she did speak those three little magic words "you'd lose weight".

I am so tempted. If I start to grow some fur, develop a taste for dog food and quickly lose 10 lbs, you'll know why.

3 comments:

  1. Jeff may not appreciate the extra fur. (think of all the addt'l Swiffering!)

    My 17-year-old cat was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid problem several months ago. We knew b/c he got VERY skinny, which was concering.

    He now takes meds to help him gain/maintain his weight. (it's a goo that goes on the non-furry,inside part of his ear - funny, right?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. Maybe I wouldn't be so tempted to use Bailey meds if it was an ointment that goes in his ear. I never heard of such a thing. Hope it is working. 17 sounds already like a long time for a cat to live. He must still have a few lives left. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pfft. He also has a heart condition (takes half of a human beta-blocker pill daily) and a reflux issue (takes half of a Pepcid daily!)

    That cat is on borrowed time, and we both know it. But as long as he is comfortable and not in pain, he'll be with us :-)


    PS How goes the taking better care of your nails experiment?! You should post a photo of your hands ;-)

    ReplyDelete