Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Going to the Zoo.

Ian came home very excited the other day.  His 2nd grade class was FINALLY going on their first field trip of the year.  They are visiting the National Zoo on Thursday, April 4th.    Ian wants very much for me to sign up to be a chaperone. 

I really have no desire to go on a school field trip.  Riding on the school bus is not my idea of a fun day.  Nor, is having to look after kids other than my own – and even then, I am happy if someone else wants to look after mine from time to time.  Plus, I am working either one or both of my part-time jobs on Thursdays and it would be a bit of a challenge to juggle the work to another day in the week.   

Due to siblings not being allowed to accompany the chaperones on field trips, I’ve never been in a position before that I could even consider signing up to go.  Sam’s preschool schedule was too crazy and didn’t allow enough time to make it work.  However, this year, I can’t really use it as an excuse as she is able to stay each day until 3:00pm, if needed.  It’s ironic that my one day a week I chose to indulge and keep her until 3:00pm every week is none other than Thursdays.

Ian came to me in the morning, before school and asked if I filled out the form. I told Ian I really didn’t want to go on the field trip.  Ian looked disappointed and walked away.  I went into the shower.  It was then in the shower (I seem to do all my best thinking in the bathroom) that it hit me.  It’s true that I had no desire to go on the field trip, but Ian WANTED me to go.  There is going to come a day when Ian doesn’t want me to do these things.  There will come a day when I am sure I will be seen as an embarrassment.  There will come a day when he won’t even let me see him hang with his friends.  This was my a-ha moment.
I got out of the shower, quickly dressed and went in search of Ian.  He was downstairs.  I told him that I was looking at his field trip completely backwards.  And yes, I would love to go and be a chaperone.  I can’t wait to get on that bus and sit right next to him going to the zoo and back.  He laughed and said maybe I could sit in the row in front of him. 
I filled out the form to be a chaperone.  They will only take four people per class.  Ian’s form got turned in as soon as it was possible.  He said other forms were also in the chaperone pool being turned in.
We will see what happens and if I get picked to go.  Now that I’ve decided to go, I want to go more than anything.  Funny how that can happen.

UPDATE (Since writing this blog and waiting for it to post):  I didn't get picked to go on the field trip.  I was one of 16 moms informed that I was not needed.  Can you imagine?  20 moms and/or dads out of 24 kids total in the class volunteered to go on this field trip.  That is pretty impressive. And we are beyond the kindergarten year when everything is super cute.  It's nice to be part of a class where the parents are so involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment