Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Learning some life skills

Ian is far from independent.  He is very content to let me pick out his clothes (not only in the stores, but what he will wear daily), get him his breakfast, make his lunch, dinner and whatever snacks are needed.  The only thing I don't do for him is brush his teeth. 

As Ian approaches his 8th bithday, I feel it is important for him to start doing some stuff for himself.  I found this list of what chores can be done by age.  For 6 to 8 year olds, the list is crazy long and I was shocked by some of the stuff.   For the past few months, he has been clearing the dinner table each evening and is working on getting his snacks/drinks throughout the day. 

I've decided to take it up a notch and get him to give the bathrooms a quick once-over each Saturday morning.  All I am requesting is no more than 2 minutes of work per bathroom - take Lysol wipes and wipe down the sink, toilet, and empty the trash can.  Believe me, this is a toned down version of what a 6 to 8 year old can do to a bathroom.

The first Saturday I told Ian my new plan was met with much resistance.  Ian was not happy and as we went from bathroom to bathroom, he got very grumpy.  I told him I would help him for the first few weeks until he got comfortable with my expectations (actually making sure it is clean and not just haphazzardly giving it a quick swipe) and then he'd be on his own.   We bumped up his allowance to $4.00 per week.
 
This past Saturday, we reached a new level of cooperation.  When Ian had woken up, Jeff and Sam had already left for Wegman's.  I asked him which he would like to do first -- eat breakfast, take a shower or clean the bathrooms?   Ian's answer...Clean the bathrooms.  Before I could smile my reaction, Ian had gone downstairs to get a trash bag and was already working on his first bathroom.  I simply observed and watched Ian do his thing.  He really worked hard and made me very proud.

As Ian was cleaning his 2nd bathroom (we only have 3), he lifted up the toilet seat, took one look and said, "I need a raise."  I had to chuckle and agreed with him.  Since he had a great attitude while cleaning and there was no complaining, I told him we will start to give him $5 a week.  This made him very happy.

I feel good that Ian is starting to do some things around the house to help.  He will take pride in earning that allowance each week, rather than simply being handed it.   I also feel great that he is getting some life skills that will serve him well later on.

And once I let Sam loose on the vaccum cleaner (this is her dream!), I will be sitting back and enjoying a cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Robyn. My husband was well-raised in general, but he was never asked/required to do any chores. When we married, he had no idea how to do laundry, clean a bathroom, etc. (I am serious). Of course, he knows how to do it all now! I consider these life skills, just like cooking, driving, learning to swim, etc. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete