Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Funeral

I left the house on Wednesday, March 13th at 5:20am (woke up at 4:30am).  I took the train from Union Station to Philadelphia, changed trains and arrived in Cherry Hill, NJ by 9:30am.  Approx. 8 hours later, I did the same trip back home and walked in my front door at 10:00pm.

I was not playing the role of a Mom, wife, or best girlfriend this day.  I was simply a relative on my way to celebrate the life of a wonderful Great Aunt.  My Aunt Connie.
Aunt Connie died, somewhat unexpectedly two Sundays ago.  This is a relative on my mom’s side of the family.  She was not only “great” but also one of my Great Aunt’s.  Considering my grandmother was one of 5 children, I have a nice extended family. 
My mom was unable to fly in and attend the funeral.  I went and represented the Florida branch of the family tree (my mom, sister, and dad).   It’s wasn’t a traditional funeral…there was no body (she was cremated the day before), there was no gravesite, and all religion had been taken out of the memorial.  What it was, was incredibly touching and a beautiful remembrance of an amazing woman.  Listening to her children and grandchildren speak was emotional.  I am always amazed how anyone can speak at a funeral and keep it together.  I just needed to look at one of the immediate family members and I start tearing up and choking back the tears. 

After the memorial service, there was a luncheon at a nearby restaurant.  Eating and drinking is where my family excels!  There were about 75 to 80 of us in attendance and the atmosphere was lively, with the laughs (and drinks!) flowing. 
Gosh, I love my family.  It was sad the reason we were brought together, but I enjoy being around my family so much. 
It’s funny that going to a funeral can be seen as a vacation day.  But it was nice to step away from all the responsibilities I usually have on a Wednesday and just be with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment