Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Hanging up the dance shoes

And in other news, I am working extremely hard at cutting back our activities.

I came to a decision that we will take a break from gymnastics, dance, swim lessons (and of course religious school) during the summer. Other than the trips that are being planned and camp, all extracurricular activities are on hold. Last Summer I managed to keep everything going (in addition to camps) and it was one crazy day after another. It got me thinking, if I am ok with taking a break during the summer, than why not start now?!?!!?

 So I told Sam that after this current session of dance is over (last class was on Wednesday, February 27th), we weren't going to go back.   Sam took one look at me and said, "Ok, I will do soccer instead."   Um, that wasn't the point!  I told her we can look at doing it in the Fall, but the rest of this school year was going to be one activity less.

The funny thing is, I thought it would be really hard to break the news that she wasn't going to keep her dance classes.  I was expecting tears and screaming from her on how important this activity was.  Fortunately, this couldn't have been further from the truth.

And, when I told the two other moms who send their daughter's (Sam's BFFs) to this class, both of them were more than ready to stop going too.  I think we all came to the conclusion that after more than two years of this, we were ready for a break.

The woman who teaches this dance class is amazing and really wonderful with the kids.  You couldn't ask for a better environment -- it is not competitive in the least, very laid back, lots of fun and no crazy recitals requiring expensive costumes or requirements.  This year we had the class evolve to half ballet, half tap.  The 3 girls do have a wonderful time.

Here's the icing on the cake -- Miss M. is not coming back either to teach the class.  She has many other obligations and won't be continuing.

How funny that it is over all around?  Not only are the students leaving, but the teacher is too. 

And with that, my week is suddenly getting a little less crazy.  Not by a ton, but Wednesdays aren't going to be my craziest day anymore.



This is one of my most favorite pictures I've taken at dance class -- April 2011
Sam is in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment