Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

Cooking 101

The first morning I asked Ian what he wanted for breakfast, he said "Bacon, eggs and a banana".  I told him to go ahead and get started. I'd be down in a minute to help him.  Once he fully realized he was going to have to make his own breakfast, with assistance from me, he was not a happy camper.  There was a lot of banging of pans (and eggs!) and stomping about the kitchen.  Ian's level of grumpiness hit the ceiling.  

At one point Ian said he lost his appetite and was no longer hungry.  After 5 minutes he returned to the kitchen and was a bit more open-minded on learning how to cook scrambled eggs and microwave bacon.  Ian, as cranky as ever, finished making his breakfast.  He said the eggs were overcooked.  The bacon tasted horrible.  And his banana broke in half trying to get the peel off. 

One of the first mornings learning to cook scrambled eggs.

The next morning I asked Ian what he wanted for breakfast.  He looked at me and asked if he was going to have to make it himself.  I said yes.  Within 1 minute Ian was upstairs in the kitchen and set to work.  He felt a bit overwhelmed trying to multitask microwaving the bacon and getting the eggs cooked, but he did it.  The first Saturday Jeff was home to witness this, he started taking pictures of him at the stove.  Ian is so focused and can't take his eyes off the pan for a second.  It is very cute.

We are now about 3 weeks past the first few days of Ian cooking his own breakfast.  He has mastered the art of how to get it done.  Within 5 minutes he has a fully cooked breakfast all done by him, from start to finish.  The other morning I wasn't even in the kitchen when he cooked his own breakfast.





The finished product!

This past Friday I asked him how he felt making his own eggs and bacon.  He said it felt pretty good. There is absolutely no attitude and he is taking pride in being able to do it.  I am so proud of him.  He wants to know now how to make other things.  We are going to tackle pancakes, grilled cheese sandwiches, and quesadillas next. 

Give a man a fish, he eats for a day.  Teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime. 

1 comment:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU! (and for Ian). Too many kids - boys and girls - don't know how to make simple, nutritious meals. To me, cooking is a life skill, like swimming. I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete