Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

National Building Museum, Kindergarten style

It finally happened!  After 4 years of trying, I got picked to chaperone a field trip.  It turns out it is not the experience it is cracked up to be.  I now consider myself lucky that I haven't gone on a field trip before now. 

My kids' classes always have a huge turn-out of moms/dads who want to volunteer.  You have to hope that your name gets picked out of a hat for one of the few coveted chaperone spots.  Samantha was so excited when she heard I got picked.  It made me excited.  This past Thursday we went to the National Building Museum in Washington, D.C.

Here is my list of issues I had with the field trip:

1. Sitting on a school bus seat with two little girls.  The bench is made for two bodies, not three.  We were cozy, very cozy.

2. Two rows up in front of us, one of Sam's classmates threw up 4 times.  Yes, 4 times.  And the first time it went on his pants and the bus floor, which started moving back towards us.  Fun.

3. Leaving at 9:30am meant we were sitting in traffic to get into D.C.  I love sitting on a school bus lurching forward at 5 mph.  Please, can we do this everyday?

4. I was given 4 kids to be in charge of; Sam, one of her friends, and two boys.  I had the boys sit on the row opposite me.  The one boy refused to sit in his seat.  Ever.  All I could think of was the bus would get into an accident and this kid would have a head start to getting something major broken.  Not on my watch! 

5. Once we were off the bus and in the museum, the three kids not related to me started moving around.  It was so much fun keeping track of them among all the other kids on loose for the field trip.  I kept having us all hold hands.  I am sure they loved that, but I didn't care.  I wasn't going to lose a kid.

And the one reason that made this all worth it:

1. Seeing how happy Sam was that I was there with her.

Sam and her friend on the bus

Ian had a field trip the very next day.  Could you imagine if I had gotten picked for that one and had to go to two field trips on back to back days?  Oh my!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment