Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Hijacking a 5k

Carpe diem...sometimes you just have to seize the day.  Jump in with both feet and not think twice.  Go for it.  That's what my friend Dawn and I did this past Saturday morning.   It turned out to be one of the most spontaneously fun mornings ever.  Neither of us had any idea what we were in store for when we woke up that morning.

Our plan was to meet at 8:00am at Burke Lake Park and walk around the lake.  It's 4.7 miles once around.  Upon arrival, we find a 5k is about to start not too far from where we have parked our cars.  I tell Dawn we should join them and do the 5k.  Dawn is a little hesitant and needs a bit of convincing.  She is certain that she won't be able to run it.  No worries I tell her.  Look at all the families doing this at the back of pack.  They are walking it, so will we.  It will be great!  Then Dawn tells me, but they are all black.   Hmmm, I didn't realize that part.  You know what?  She's right.  They are all black.  So what, I say.  Come 'on, it will be fun.

Before I know it, Dawn and I are doing a quick jog to join the run.  We find out from the walkers bringing up the rear what the cause is for.  It's for the youth. "To empower young men to recognize they are in control of their destiny in life. Afford young men the opportunity to explore personal career interest; and not subject themselves to stereotypes."   Sounds good to us!  We quickly make friends with the back of pack.  Everyone is super nice.  No one has yet asked us what we are doing there.  Nor have they told us to leave their race.  They offer us water at the water station, they collect our cups from us.  The man in charge is telling us the path to take.  I don't think it is possible for them to be more welcoming. 

While Dawn and I finish last, we also finish strong.  Our new friends cheer us through the finish line.  It was awesome!   Dawn and I head back to our cars and decide to go to Spartans for breakfast.   My car is the first to leave the parking lot area.  I notice the group we were just with is about to take a team shot.  I quickly get out of my car and join in.  Dawn is about 30 seconds behind me in her car.  She jumps out and does the same in joining ua.  The guy in front of us has us go in front of him for the picture because we are on the shorter side.  How sweet!

This was truly a morning to remember.  We had such a great time.  I put a donation in the mail to them with a note thanking the coordinator for letting us join in.  We will be back next year.  And we will register properly for it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment