Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Down for the count

The last day of Spring Break was to be spent going to my dentist appointment, hitting Georgetown Cupcakes and meeting Jeff for lunch near his office.  Our day was going to end at a friend's house for dinner; which we were all really looking forward to.  However, the kids had other plans.  Getting sick wasn't part of the Spring Break plan, but it took a very prominent place on our calendar.

My kids rarely (and I mean RARELY!!) get sick. I can't even remember the last time they had a cold, or a cough, or a fever.  I attribute their amazing immune systems to my lack of being a germaphobe.  I do not freak out about dirt or making sure the kids have used hand sanitizer every hour of the day.  I guess they were overdue in the getting sick department, because both kids got hit hard as our week was winding down.

Ian threw up at 1:00am, 3:15am, and 4:30am as Thursday became Friday.  Yowzer!  I felt so bad for him.  It was not a fun night nor an easy one to get through.  Sam managed to sleep through the night (and all the activity right outside her room), but when she woke up on Friday morning, she promptly made up for lost time and threw up EVERYWHERE!  In fact, she took one look at the couch, Pinky, the bathroom, and pillow and said, "Wow, I really made a mess."  Why yes, yes you did. 

At this point, Ian took a dose of Advil for his fever and went to sleep.  I cleaned Sam's trail of vomit and got the first of many loads of wash started.  Sam took some Advil for her fever and finally went to sleep too about an hour later. 

With both kids napping at the same time, I kept the washer and dryer going non-stop and kept up with the laundry.  I also made a very time intensive dish for dinner that I said I would bring over anyway when I knew we wouldn't make dinner at our friend's.

Once the kids woke-up, they were both pretty listless and didn't cause much trouble.  It was a long day trying to get them to stay hydrated, offer very bland foods and convince them that at some point they will feel better soon.  Neither child is used to being sick and not having the energy they usually have was a very foreign concept to them.  They both refused to eat anything.  They would take a bite of bread and push the rest away.  I didn't force them, more because I didn't want to be cleaning it up again an hour later.  I monitored the kids to make sure they were peeing enough (an indication that they were hydrated) and kept a log of when I gave medicine, how much and to whom.  I wrote what time they fell asleep, who woke up when and what their temperature was every 2 hours.  I also wrote down if either of them threw up again.  This log alone was a full-time job!

By the time Jeff walked in the door at 5:45pm, I was very happy for another adult (and a healthy one at that) to interact with.  It was time for him to take over.  The kids went to sleep early and we could only hope they would both sleep through the night. 

When Saturday morning arrived, everyone was awake, well-rested and fever free!!  Yay!  And in even better news, the vomiting had stopped.  Whew!!  Within one hour of waking, both kids went back to sleep.  So crazy!!  I don't think my kids have ever done that before.  Sam slept for 2 hours, Ian slept for 3 hours.  The rest of the day was spent indoors taking it easy with no fevers and no throwing up.  Three cheers for a fast moving bug!!!

Sam was going stir crazy from being cooped up for almost 2 full days.  Jeff took her grocery shopping at Wegman's in the late afternoon. 

I was very surprised at how fast the week had been flying by.  I even joked to a mommy friend that all my hair was still in my head -- I hadn't pulled it out yet!   But when you throw Friday into the week, I was very ready for school to start again.  We ended Spring Break with a bang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment