Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Down for the count, Part 2

So my story does not end with the kids getting sick the last day of Spring Break.  Nooooooooo.  Unfortunately, this vomiting / fever combo took another victim.  Me!  48 hours after the kids had it, it found a new body to inhabit.  How fun. 

The family and I had a wonderful day on Sunday at Gravelly Point.  We had a lovely picnic, brought the kids' scooters and some balls to throw around.  It was a delightful afternoon and one of my favorite places to hang out with the family that is low key and easy. 

My usual self-timer picture at Gravelly Point

I had already asked my boss for the next day (Monday) off from my job at the preschool.  Ian had an eye appointment with an Opthamologist at 10:30am.  He had recently tanked his eye exam at his yearly pediatrician check-up and I was pretty sure Ian was going to need glasses.  It comes as no surprise as both Jeff and I are pretty close to blind without some kind of corrective lenses.

I made dinner and sat down with the family.  Took one bite and I was done.  Got up from the table and crawled into bed.  By 7:00pm, I was revisiting my awesome salad from lunch.  It didn't look so pretty now.  At midnight, round 2 hit me again.  Ugh.  It was a horrible night and I couldn't get comfortable.   When Jeff saw the way I was after dinner, he immediately sent an email to his coworkers alerting them to the fact he'd be working from home and juggling the kids.  He knew I was in no shape to do anything but lie in bed and go back and forth to the bathroom.  In my 9 years of being a mom, I've only ever asked him to stay home from work once.  And that turned out to be an emergency appendectomy.  This was my 2nd time.  Not a bad track record, if I do say so myself.

Jeff got Sam off to school. It didn't make sense to send Ian to school because his appointment was smack dab in the middle of the half day Monday.  Jeff instructed Ian to do some work for religious school and he put in a few hours before it was time to go to the eye dr.  It was killing me to let Jeff take Ian to this appointment on his own.  I couldn't do it.  I knew they were both capable, but to not be there for Ian's first eye dr appointment was huge.  I had this vision that Ian would walk through the door wearing some 80's style frames that we'd be stuck looking at for a year.  I had to go.  I needed to hear first hand what the diagnosis was and how bad Ian's eyesight really was.

I took a shower, brushed my teeth and ate a banana.  It's amazing what those 3 little things can do for a person.  I no longer had a fever and I hadn't thrown up in over 10 hours.  I made my way downstairs and said I was going.  Jeff made me promise to not throw up in his car.  I felt pretty certain the worst was over and I was starting to get better.  However, I did keep an eye out for the closest trash can and or bathroom in every room I walked in.  You just never know. 

Ian was a rockstar during his eye exam.  As Jeff and I were watching Ian get a few of the letters wrong, I so badly wanted to whisper the right answers to him.  I knew then that it might've been better if I did stay at home.  :)  It turns out that Ian does not need glasses.  Not yet anyway.  He will most definitely at some point in the next few years.  But for at least the next 6 months he is good to go.  We were given a home vision test to give Ian every 6 months.  If his vision gets worse before his next check-up in a 1 1/2 years, then we bring him back in.  But for now, his vision isn't that bad. 

Ian sitting in the chair at the eye doctor.


Walking out of the appointment wearing the shades
because his eyes are dialated.
Once I got back home, I took a very long nap.  By the time I woke up, it was like a fog had lifted from my head.  I felt so much better and was getting my energy back and my appetite.  Why can't the lack of appetite thing last longer than 12 hours?  I need that part of the illness to linger for at least 6 months.

And in the best news yet, we seem to have rid the house of the vomiting / fever combo illness.  It's been more than 48 hours since I got sick and Jeff is still standing strong.  It's a good thing too.  This bug is not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment