Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2015

A lovely way to start the day.

Every weekday morning (except for when it's raining), my friend Tami and I meet at 5:30am for an hour walk.  We have the same route we cover every time our feet hit the pavement.  It's like the movie "Groundhog Day" as the sun is rising above us.  There is the same lady walking her dog by the same set of houses, there is the same man waiting for the bus to take him to the Pentagon, and there is the bus driver who always honks his horn and waves at us as he passes by.   You can set your watch by each of these things occurring.  Tami and I have been walking pretty steadily now for 2 years.  We've never run out of things to talk about!

At exactly 6:25am each morning, I pass by this one home and see the woman of the house standing in on her driveway wearing her pajamas, while her husband is backing out from their garage onto the street.  As the man is doing this maneuver, the woman is waving good-bye to her husband.  She continues waving (and not a small waving motion either!) until the car is no longer in sight.  It is a long time too of her standing there waving.  It is the sweetest thing ever.   The other day I said to the woman as she was busy waving and I was walking by, "Seeing this puts a smile on my face.  Can I ask how many years you've been married?"   The woman answered with "30".   30 years!!!   I love this!

It never gets old for me seeing her send her husband off to work with a wave and a smile.  And as the husband is driving away, his arm is out the window waving back.  What a lovely way for my day to start seeing this beautiful gesture of love.

On a related side note:  The other day I attempted to do this to Jeff as he left for work. I followed him outside and waited for him to get in his car.  I started waving.  I kept waving and waving (just like the lady in the above reference does) as Jeff pulled his car out of the driveway and got it in the right direction to go up our pipestem.   My first observation is this:  Boy, did my arm get tired from all that waving.  And my second observation?   Jeff thought I was a nut and couldn't back-up fast enough to get away from me.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment