Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Time to Party, Part 2

Birthday palooza is now officially over!

Ian decided he wanted to do a birthday parrty at Climb Zone in Laurel, MD.  Due to the distance (about an hour each way), I couldn't expect his friend's parents to drive that for a birthday party. I told Ian he could pick his closest 5 friends and we would take everyone.  Three kids in Jeff's backseat, three kids in my backseat.  I was banking on the fact that one boy wouldn't be able to make it.

I love this place!  The cool thing is that it is indoors and offers a very non-traditional version of rock wall climbing.  Instead of the usual walls, you get to climb all sorts of various textures -- Lincoln Memorial, Eiffel Tower, Tetris, Soccer Field, Alice in Wonderland theme, Route 66, Bookcase, tires, ropes, Skateboard ramp, outside of a building, etc.  It is never ending all the various things you can climb.  It is a visual feast for the eyes!  Jeff even climbed too!  

It is well worth the drive and the staff is always so super nice.  You couldn't ask for a better experience.   We reserved one of their indoor tents, ordered food from 3 Brothers Pizza and had Jeff's parents join us.  In a extra nice touch, Susanne and her son Dagan joined us for pizza and cake.  Unfortunately Dagan had just had eye surgery and was under strick orders to not do physical activity.

Each year I tell the kids, "That's it, I'm done doing birthday parties.  You can each invite one friend and do some kind of experience with them (ie baseball game, go-karting, afternoon tea, spa, etc).  And each year, we end up doing a formal party.  This year, however, we did keep it on the small side and it turned out awesome.  Sam had 4 friends and Ian had 4 friends.  Both parties cost almost identical in price and both kids were thrilled with how awesome each party was.  Dare I say it?  This years' birthday parties were a blast for me too.  I really enjoyed how we celebrated.  I wouldn't even mind if we did this same thing again next year.  Sam loves the Climb Zone as much as Ian.  I could see myself suggesting a dual birthday party (we have yet to do that!) and renting a van for all the kids.  :)   No, that's crazy talk!  We are done having birthday parties.  Done.  Really.  I'm serious. Sort of.



How cool is this wall?????  That's Ian and his friend.

Sam on her way down.

Ian and his friend scaling the United States

Jeff and Sam scaling Tetris

Up close and personal to Tetris

Jeff scaling the fifty states.

It's Spidey Sam!

Grandma and Sam

Look at me!

All done.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment